Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Help Needed With Bonding

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lyris 
#1 ·
i already asked this question in another forum, but have yet to get a reply. I have a rather skittish 14-15 week old female I got about a week ago and have been working on trying to get her used to me and bonded but things are not going anywhere it seems. One minute she will let me easily pick her up and pet her other times she runs from me with her tail bristled, she has even barked before so I let her alone until she calms. I have tried setting up my hall for her to play in and laid in there with her letting her come and investigate me but she is more concerned with her wheel. When I take the wheel away she sleeps in the corner after a eating and giving me a quick sniff. I have a friend with one she got from the same place as me a couple weeks before and hers right off the bat was sweet and loving. I understand it will take time but how can I possibly speed things up? Any help would be great!

#2 ·
Talk to her a lot even if you don't pick her up. It's only been a week, and you have other pets, that may be the problem.

Don't rush it, but don't give up either. And respect her feelings. I have one who will respond to me on her terms. She's now nine years old and I had to learn to respect her.

I also recommend you get a friend for her. Prairie Dogs need constant company and perhaps another one might calm her down and she might learn from the other how to bond with you. This time it should be a male, I find them friendlier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.