How do you know when it's time? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

How do you know when it's time?

Samantha has gotten very old. She hasn't seen in a couple of years (which was fine....she still knew her way around the home perfectly)! But, I fear...I know...that she is failing. She still drinks a little water, but she has not eaten literally since April. She showed some interest in the smell and taste of food until early May, but no longer has any interest in food. She has lost a frightening amount of weight.

My dilemma - I don't know if she's suffering. She just pretty much stays in her "nest" these days. Of course, her doting father gets her out of the cage about every two minutes, but, frankly, she's usually impatient and just wants to get back to her nest. She hasn't urinated or otherwise gone to the bathroom in a couple of months, either...I just don't know what the answer is. I realize that her soul has just outlived her body. But, at the same time, I'm terrified that, if I put her to sleep, it's premature.....if she's not suffering, I don't want her life to end....

I guess that's what my question boils down to.....is there a way to tell if she's suffering? How do you know when your little friend is ready to move on?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

You should get her to a vet that is familiar with PD's as soon as possible. Get the vet's opinion and make your decision from there. Good luck and let us know what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Part of the Pack

I agree, take her to the vet before you make any big decisions. In fact, I probably would have taken her in when she stopped eating in May! Good luck, I'll keep your girl in my thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

I feel like I wrote that. I am going through basically the same thing right now with my Snuggle-Bug. I know I am only delaying the inevitable, but neither of us are ready to give up yet. We have a deal. I told her I will fight as long as she does. She has an incredable will to live, & I have to be here for her for as long as it takes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Title Thief Victim

I agree I would take her to the vet and see what they say.

Carissasaurus Rex