How to introduce new prairie Dog pups to each other? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How to introduce new prairie Dog pups to each other?

I have an 9 week old prairie dog female and I want to get another but one is from a breeder and one from a pet store, two females the same age. Does anyone know how I would introduce them and if they would get along at first? The pet store won't let me bing my female in and th book I have only tells about introducing a pup to a new adult? Any info from experienced prairie dog owners would be greatly appreciated! Also per store told me if I buy another they will only live each other and not me! Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Newborn Pup

Hellooooo!! Congrats for ur new pet. PD are awesome. If both are 9 weeks old there is not going to be any problem. They are babies and at that age, they dont feel like a stranger is in its territory. However, the way of putting 2 prairie dog together is as follow:

They have to be in diferent cages, so the one that is already in the house can go an smell the new one. Cages have to be in diferent rooms. If they stay some hours smelling one each other and the one in the house is OK, doesnt feel agressive, scarre or similar (you will know by the tail) you can move them to a neutral place in your house. Meaning, a place where they have not been before. If you put them together in the House one territory, fighthing and problems can arise. IF in the neutral place they are OK together, you have to repeat this 2 more days and in the 3rd, you put both cages in the same territory. They can share it but for sleeping, differente cages. After a while they will start sharing coges by themselves. However, all this is teorothy. Very usefull but teorothy. Each PD is diferrent and you never know what will happen. Currently Ihave 3 and experience with each of them had been diferent. Could you please tell me the cage type you have for them? This is very important too.

By they way, I work in a PD forum, one of the most important in europe. It is in spanish but if you are interested in see pic, cages, or participate, let me know and I send you the URL.

Regards and please, let me know how they go
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hello I have a critter nation small animal cage, it's pretty big and nice. I received your response too late and put them together immediatly! Fortunately it turned out for the best!mthey adore each other! However I have an issue with my first prairie dog, it started before the new one came and now is worse.. She is biting hard and drawing blood. She's very sweet for a couple of minutes when you pick her up then she just turns on you and bites you hard! I work from 7-5 and when I get home I try to spend as much time as I can I am currently holding her in a pouch! When I received her I was continuing syringe feeding her they told me it would help bond but then all she wanted was the syringe if I didn't have it she didn't want anything to do with me so I went from two times a day to one time and now I have stopped the feeding and now she seems even more mad? Any suggestions? And I do not speak spanish so I wouldnt be able to go to your forum but I would love to see cage pics and love to show you pics of my cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Newborn Pup

Hello

I am glad they are doing well together. They are very sociable and love having PD around.

The point with your firts PD is that it doesnt trust you at all. They need a lot of time to feel confidente with human and you have to work with ti daily. When he or she bites you, you have to say NO, not screaming but in a serious way and put it in the cage for around 10-20 minutes al leave it alone. If in the cage is the other PD what I do with mine is that I have a travel cage and I put the PD in it and I leave it in another room alone for 10-20 minutes.

After that I open the travel cage in the main cage and I stay as nothing happen no paying attention to the bitten PD.

You have to repeat this everytime it bites. It is very effective but you have to work with it.

In my case, one of mine also used to bite me but I start teaching her saying NO and leaving her "Thinking herself" in the cage and now she is not doing it anymore.

What are ur PD names?? Mines are Gina and Tui, the girls and Baloo is the male.

I sent to your email some pics of them. Hope you like them
( I dont attach them here coz I cant)

Regards

Tags
introducing new pups