How many do you have? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

View Poll Results: How many do you have?
I don't have any but would like to get one 51 38.93%
I don't have any and don't think I'd like to get one 19 14.50%
1 25 19.08%
2 19 14.50%
3 9 6.87%
more than 3 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Deja, they're illegal in the entire continental US right now due to the stupid Monkey Pox outbreak. (I say stupid because the prairie dogs didn't bring the disease to the states. They didn't cause it. An animal imported from Africa and improperly quarantined did. The PDs are just the victims. ) I've wanted one for a long time.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

To answer your questions Deja:

I give mine Timothy hay as their main diet, and they get treats of shredded wheat, very small pieces of apple, carrots, and an occasional piece of fit and trim dog food as a special treat. They are not difficult to take care of at all, they just need extra attention, especially if you only have one. They are very social animals and will literally go insane if they are alone and not given enough attention.

A yahoo is a greeting. It sounds like "eeee ouuu", and it's VERY cute. My one girl, Karmen, is a real talker. She'll yahoo to almost everything I say. They are also very affectionate. I'll come home and snuggle with my girls and they seem to know when I've had a bad day. Karmen has reached up and patted my cheek with her paw more than once as if to say "it's ok mom, we're here for ya!" I can't imagine not having my girls!

Right now they are banned. The people that have them now are allowed to keep them but as far as I know selling them is still banned due to the monkey pox scare. PD's are getting a bad rap and it wasn't even their fault.

Rhonda

post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:37 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Still banned from selling them yes. Oh another really cute sound they make is an err err sound! That is the sound of a very contented pup! Makes me melt when they make that noise. I think they have me wrapped round their little paws!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 06:05 PM
XxXDr4g0nXxX

I have three. They are right around 8 months old, but I've only had them for about two months. Their names are Chuby(cause he's really fat), Squealer(cause he's quite the talker), and biscuit(dunnoo..my sister named that one). They are my first ever PDs and I love them oh so much! I do not know how to sex them, so I am not sure of their sex at this time. The pet shop I got them from had not sexed them, though they said they thought they were all guys. Anyone know how to sex them?

post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:05 AM

get a book. there are slight differences that they show you in diagrams. Or, you can take them to a vet. I also reccomend getting them spayed/neutered, because prairie dogs are known to get territorial and testy when they are sexually mature.
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:25 PM

[B]I used to have four, 2 males 2 females, 2 died but the 2 who are alive are the sweetest critters in the world. I hope they will soom mate and I will have more. They are such wonderful pets so friendly and personalities that melt my heart. I wish they would get rid of that stupid ban. You can get assult weapons much easier than prairie dogs. So how many people were killed by a prairie dog?
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:58 PM

How many, ages, etc....

undefinedundefinedundefined
I am new to this site.
I have 4 PD babies -
Harry Sally Ditto & Jasper.
& 2 Degus - Spongebob & Patrick.
They are all about 3 years old,
Ditto & Jasper were 'rescues' from a lady
who was not able to take proper care of
them, I cannot now imagine my life without
them....
Lisa&gang :blob3:
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 10:38 AM

I have 3 male and 5 females. And I have babies every year. But sell the youngs.
But next year i may keep some so I have more in my groupe.
Regrads
Casper
visit my homepages :
http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/fam-lorentzen
And
http://www.rtr-exotisk.dk/forum/
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:12 PM

Oh Pixie, how I envy you. I wish my two had mated, but they didn't. I love them so much that the idea I may never be able to have another prairie dog again when mine do die breaks my heart.
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 PM

Hi poochie, are they gowing outdoors or indoors ?
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:08 PM

I live in a city, they are always inside. I'd be too scared that someone might let them loose and they'd be hit by a car or truck, or some sicko would torture them to death.
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:53 AM

take a look at my reply on the subjekt brreding pd.

Sorry for my bad enlish, i hope you understand.
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:25 PM

Hi Casper,

Your homepage is beautiful. I'm the one who should be ashamed. I only speak English and I'm not so great at that either. We can thank U.S. public education. I've had to try to teach myself at times.

I am impressed with the fact that you do so well with English. That's superior European education. I've always admire Europe for being so open and liberal. We are so far behind over here. Looks like with George II in the Whitehouse for four more years we will go further backwards.
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:59 PM

Hi poochie.
thanks for your kind words about my homepage if there is somthing you want to know on it please e mail me then I tranlate it for you.
Thanks for your kind words
Here in europe we have to talk/whrite english to talk to the outside. When we are a verry small country as we are we are depentning on english. Me specially bacuse I get many info about my hoppy on the internet, and becuse I have a lot of contackt i Germany. But i do bette talk English then whriting it.
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:42 AM

I understand your messages very well. Lots of people over here can't spell either, and I am lucky to have spell check on my computer, and I keep a huge dictionary next to my computer as well. I forget sometimes how to spell and I use either one to help me.
As for your beautiful web site, I apologize, I don't understand a word. But it is lovely to look at. I'd hate to ask you to go through so much trouble to translate all of it to me.

Sincerely,
Judy

Last edited by poochie lover; 03-25-2005 at 10:45 AM. Reason: mispelling hear for here

Tags
captive bred, dandelion greens, dog food, dog owners, fur babies, guinea pig, oat hay, pet shop, pet store, prairie dog, prairie dogs, shredded wheat, social animals, sugar glider, sugar gliders, timothy hay, wonderful pets