Votes: 18 14.9%

Votes: 24 19.8%

Votes: 18 14.9%

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • more than 3

Votes: 7 5.8%
32K views 80 replies 46 participants last post by  Pink Pistol 
#1 ·
I know we have a few other prairie dog people here besides me...How many do you have? Males, females, both? How old? How long have you had them?

I have 2 females, Karmen and Kasey. I've had them for almost 2 years now and I love them dearly!! I think they're one of the most loving pets I've had, although probably the most difficult to get pics of. :lol: Karmen tries to climb on the camera and Kasey is a little camera shy (like me :D ).

#54 ·
Hi Cande, I happen to know Teddy and Ginger very well. A few years ago their owner brought them to me to be spayed and nueutered by my vet. They stayed few weeks and in that time Teddy and I became great friends. When it was time to go home I drove them back to their owner's state and to this day I've never seen two pd's more happy to see their family then those two. My heart just melted to see how strong their bond was and how spoiled they'd been. To my utter shock and dismay their owner gave them up. Now I think you are owner 3 and I just wanted you to know how wonderful and special they are. When they first came to my house Ginger acted just as she is with you, but in no time they were both sleeping in my arms and yahooing every time I came in the room. Since their first owner spoiled them with so much love and the second none at all, it may take them some time to come around. Please keep in mind that through all the chittering and blowing there are two extra special babies in there. Thanks for giving them a chance. God Bless!!!

#56 ·
To Pdjenn and others who love prairie dogs:

Nebraska is planning to kill prairie dogs again. Here's a web-site that has a petition to ask them not to do it. If all of the prairie dog lovers signed this they might listen.

If only they allowed us to be able to buy these wonderful critters and save them from all of this horror.

http://go.care2.com/e/qzAv/AGh7/lNWQ

Judy Walsh email address flatlanddogs@copper.net

#57 ·
I'd give anything!

I wish I could get another. Mine passed away 4 years ago at Christmas and I was unaware of the ban until a month ago when I began trying to get another. I'm heartbroken! I tried to adopt, but the guy that puts it together isn't getting any more PD permits from the state. I'd love to know how long this ban mess is going to continue? I've talked to several pet store owner's that say they don't think it will ever get lifted. Is that possible??

#59 ·
http://www.prairiedoglover.com/index.htm

Try this forum also as on occasion rescues come up in need of homes. Also has a wealth of information there about PD's. I seen on another thread you have or are getting a RGS? There are several people who are owned by RGS on http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LUV-R-PDS/ You can get alot of info on the RGS there also. Especially Ms. Nutmeg lol, she has her own little adventures and daily post there.

#60 ·
Trickiesmurf said:
I didnt even know you could have prarrie dogs as pets. They are sure cute thought. I didnt vote because of undecidedness.
Unfortunately it is now illegal to buy, sell give away prairie dogs, although I understand people are still getting them but very secretly.

For years it was hard to breed prairie dogs in captivity but owners are doing better with that as well. It seems they need to be in a cool climate in order to breed.

Yes they make great pets, but you need to learn how to care for them. Too many people feed them the wrong things that are meant for other pets. P.D.'s eat grasses like Timothy Hay, Orchard Hay, Oat Hay (yummy!!) and sometimes they love dandelion greens, make sure no chemicals touched them.

One of the best sources I know is pdjenn. She's helped me so much and can give you so much info about these great critters.

I hope everyone who wants a prairie dogs will someday get two or more (they're happier with at least one companion).

#61 ·
I had one named george (because he was curious) but we had to give him away because i got orders to alaska. they would not let me bring him there. later my orders were canceled, and was stationed in nc. problem was now there was a ban so i could not replace him. then just last thursday i walked into a pet store while i was waiting for a buddy to meet me for lunch and i found the new joy of my life twidder (short for twidderpating) she is so awesome. many pics to follow

#66 · (Edited)
I have one female, Ella Bella, whom is currently healing from her ovo-hysterectomy.

She is such a joy....by far the most affectionate pet I have ever had. Like having an infant....just as dependant, trusting, loving.....and vulnerable to injury.

They are a huge reponsibility.....I just cannot imagine how anyone could hurt them.
Reptile Scaled reptile Lizard Dinosaur Wood

#67 ·
I have 1 and if all goes well maybe next year I can get her a little buddy. Right now she is taking up most of my energy and attention trying to bond with her, I hope to speak with you all soon!

#69 ·
I have 3 Prairie Dogs

I have 1 Male (Buddy) and two Females (Sugar and Spice).:rolleyes:

I got my Male because someone left him in a parking lot in a car crate! I then Rescused the two Females about a month later. I'm now totally obsessed with Prairie Dogs now and have been doing a lot of research on them as well. I even started a group on facebook and a board on Iboards as well. It's been awesome! They are such amazing and sweet animals! :D

#70 ·
First I had one for 11 1/2 years His name was Mr Pinchy "Homer Simpsons pet Lobster" We had to put him down last August.
This June I was able to get 2 little ones. A Male, Zombo Buckwheat Zombie and a Female Sugar. " My Girl named her"
They just got fixed Tuesday and are not happy lol.

#73 ·
We're now officially heartbroken...... After coming home from work me and my girlfriend find that our lil babies, lilo and stitch, are MIA. Yet their cage is still locked up tight. Unfortunately I made the mistake of leaving their cage on the balcony to let them have some fresh air while we were gone. After looking for any trace for them and any way of escape we came to the conclusion that someone had taken our babies from us. :( We now have no PDs which is very discouraging considering they were finally beginning to trust us.

#75 ·
Prairie Dogs Make The Best Pets!!!

We Have Two Pd's...walter And Noodles. Ive Had Many Different Kinds Of Pets Thru Out The Years And Nothing Compares To Their Affectionate Nature And Intelligence. Walter Loves To Cuddle Up Next To Me To Go To Sleep Anytime He Gets The Chance..he Makes A Faint Popping Noise When He's Cuddling/sleeping...so Sweet.

Attachments

#76 ·
Hello everyone! I am new in this forum and I was just having a look when i see this post.

Since this week I have 3 PD. My last new friend is a male I rescue from a place where living conditions where horrible.
I also have 2 females. I love them!!! I will love to share with you some pics. Can I do it in this post? Or do i have to go to some place in the forum?

Thanks!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.