How many do you have? - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

View Poll Results: How many do you have?
I don't have any but would like to get one 51 38.93%
I don't have any and don't think I'd like to get one 19 14.50%
1 25 19.08%
2 19 14.50%
3 9 6.87%
more than 3 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Newborn Pup

I dont mind translate some of the homepage, if there is some of the animals you want to know something about please let me know.

Regards
Casper
Visit my homepage :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thankyou, Casper. As you know I love prairie dogs, I have two , one male, Moe and one female, Tallulah. I had two others who died. I'm still heartbroken over losing them. I used to have a female Eastern Gray Squirrel named Nibbles who came to me as a baby, but I let her go because she wanted to go. I was sad, but that's what she wanted.

I also had a male Eastern Gray Squirrel I called Jingles. He was aggresive so I couldn't hold him after he learned to eat on his own. I let him go also.

I also have two cats indoor of course, too many cars around. I've had them longer than my prairie dogs.

I love most animals and hate to see them mistreated by humans who should know better. Life can be cruel enough as it is for the wildlife without cruel humans getting involved.

I made a copy of your other thread from breeding. I will send it to my two friends along with your email address. One is the co-author I mentioned to lambelly the other used to be very active on Paw-talk. Both are good people who care very much about prairie dogs as well as other wildlife as I do. We are very concerned about the slaughtering of the prairie dogs in the west. Some of the things they do is sickening. If only the FDA would lift that stupid ban against owning prairie dogs. There's no reason for it.
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 03:36 PM

Ionly have one PD.But I also have two chihuahuas,four sugar gliders,a five foot iguana,a skunk, and one very confused indoor outdoor squirrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 07:26 AM

Hey Poochie Lover!
I have three prairie dogs and two of them I just picked up last week from someone who had not held them or taken them out of the cage in over a year! She tryed to find a home for them last year but changed her mind at the last minute. The little girl Ginger jumps at the cage and chitters and blows at me!! The little boy Teddy just smiles when you talk to him, but that makes Ginger really mad and she attacks him. I'm thinking of separating them so I can try to start bonding with Teddy. They are both neutered. My pd Scooter I've had since a little bb. He's so sweet and loving!
He's over two years old and I have not had him fixed yet. I could not find a vet in this area. Now I'm getting a female and I'm praying I can mate them. Did you ever have bb's? Write back! God Bless!!! Cande

Love, Cande
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:19 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

Sounds like Ginger doesn't like you yet. Try feeding her some special treats by hand. Poor kids haven't been played with? At least they are fixed - so happily no major rut.

I have 3 - Dallas, Houston & Peanut. And 2 Richardson Ground Squirrels, a Ferret, 6 Guinea Pigs, 1 Hamster, 1 Bunny, 2 dogs and 4 cats.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 10:04 PM

Please explain how these threads work

Hey Donna!
Can you explain to me how these threads work? It's confusing to me for some reason. I'm use to the other pd forums and they are not like paw-talk. There you get all the post on your e-mail and you can answer them or not. I mostly do alot of reading just to learn all I can about prairie dogs.
where it says 128 unread post, do you start there or do I just go to prairie dog discussion? I would mostly like to talk to other prairie dog owners. Some of the post are very old. I guess I just don't know the best place to look.
Thanks for replying to my e-mail! Yes, you are right Ginger does not like me at all!! She has taken a treat from me though. If she sees me with the treats she won't jump at the cage and chitter but if I'm not holding those treats, she would like to eat me up! ha! She's not to happy right now, going to a new home, with strangers. My prairie dog is scared of her!! He runs from the room if he sees her in the cage. Sounds like you have a house full!! I use to have so many pets but slowly over the years I've lost them and havent gotton anymore. I have a poodle too! I had her mom and Dad but they are gone now and I had a prairie dog for 6 yrs that died of odontoma. I did everything wrong with her becaause the pet shop told me what to do and they had no idea how to take care of pd's. I would love to have a RGS. They look alot like pd's don't they? I've heard they aren't as loving and they don't like to be held and cuddled the way pd's do. I just got home from an oil painting class and I'm beat so I'm going to go for now.
Take care! God Bless! Cande

Love, Cande
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I didnt even know you could have prarrie dogs as pets. They are sure cute thought. I didnt vote because of undecidedness.

post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Newborn Pup

I have two prairie dogs here in Finland, both males. They are Mökö and Vilkas and they are 2,5 years old
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hi Cande, I happen to know Teddy and Ginger very well. A few years ago their owner brought them to me to be spayed and nueutered by my vet. They stayed few weeks and in that time Teddy and I became great friends. When it was time to go home I drove them back to their owner's state and to this day I've never seen two pd's more happy to see their family then those two. My heart just melted to see how strong their bond was and how spoiled they'd been. To my utter shock and dismay their owner gave them up. Now I think you are owner 3 and I just wanted you to know how wonderful and special they are. When they first came to my house Ginger acted just as she is with you, but in no time they were both sleeping in my arms and yahooing every time I came in the room. Since their first owner spoiled them with so much love and the second none at all, it may take them some time to come around. Please keep in mind that through all the chittering and blowing there are two extra special babies in there. Thanks for giving them a chance. God Bless!!!

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hi Pdjenn

I can't imagine giving up my babies, and then not to love them with attention is unthinkable.

I hope Cande will love and cherish them as the devotion of these beautiful creatures is priceless.
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

To Pdjenn and others who love prairie dogs:

Nebraska is planning to kill prairie dogs again. Here's a web-site that has a petition to ask them not to do it. If all of the prairie dog lovers signed this they might listen.

If only they allowed us to be able to buy these wonderful critters and save them from all of this horror.

http://go.care2.com/e/qzAv/AGh7/lNWQ

Judy Walsh email address [email protected]
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Playful Pup

I'd give anything!

I wish I could get another. Mine passed away 4 years ago at Christmas and I was unaware of the ban until a month ago when I began trying to get another. I'm heartbroken! I tried to adopt, but the guy that puts it together isn't getting any more PD permits from the state. I'd love to know how long this ban mess is going to continue? I've talked to several pet store owner's that say they don't think it will ever get lifted. Is that possible??
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

Illegal but not impossible.

Nothing is impossible, I'll say no more. You can read into that any way you want to.
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:01 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

http://www.prairiedoglover.com/index.htm

Try this forum also as on occasion rescues come up in need of homes. Also has a wealth of information there about PD's. I seen on another thread you have or are getting a RGS? There are several people who are owned by RGS on http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LUV-R-PDS/ You can get alot of info on the RGS there also. Especially Ms. Nutmeg lol, she has her own little adventures and daily post there.
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickiesmurf
I didnt even know you could have prarrie dogs as pets. They are sure cute thought. I didnt vote because of undecidedness.
Unfortunately it is now illegal to buy, sell give away prairie dogs, although I understand people are still getting them but very secretly.

For years it was hard to breed prairie dogs in captivity but owners are doing better with that as well. It seems they need to be in a cool climate in order to breed.

Yes they make great pets, but you need to learn how to care for them. Too many people feed them the wrong things that are meant for other pets. P.D.'s eat grasses like Timothy Hay, Orchard Hay, Oat Hay (yummy!!) and sometimes they love dandelion greens, make sure no chemicals touched them.

One of the best sources I know is pdjenn. She's helped me so much and can give you so much info about these great critters.

I hope everyone who wants a prairie dogs will someday get two or more (they're happier with at least one companion).

Tags
captive bred, dandelion greens, dog food, dog owners, fur babies, guinea pig, oat hay, pet shop, pet store, prairie dog, prairie dogs, shredded wheat, social animals, sugar glider, sugar gliders, timothy hay, wonderful pets