I am new - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Flag I am new

Hi Iam new and I really dont know anything about forums. I just barely know how to use my computer. I found this sight while looking for information for my sick prairie dog dusty. She developed a respitory problem in Sept. and I have been searching for information. I read about Critical Care in your forum and would like more information. She saw a vet last month and he almost killed her . I have accomplished more on my own, but welcome any information I can get.I groomed dogs for 33 years and worked at two vet clinics before 1975. So I am not totally illiterate about animals She is also my fourth prairie dog. Got her just before the ban. Would appreciate any help I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Hi

Welcome to Paw Talk. I am sorry you are having problems. What are you Prairie Dog's symptoms. You said she has a respitory problem? Did your vet do a culture or blood work? It could be an infection or an allergy.

There is also a condition called Odentoma. It is a tumor which can grow and effect the nasal passage. An x-ray would be needed to determine whether it is that or not.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:41 PM

Hi and welcome to PT! I hope Dusty gets better soon, keep us informed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Catherine---thank you for asking. She has alot of congestion and at times gasps for air. She has learned to "blow her nose" and then very carefully she wipes it. Most of the time she is just less active and not eating as well as she did before. But when she is really feeling bad she is lethargic and doesnt eat. I read online from a vet about giving orange Ttiaminic and checked with the vet and he agreed . He said they use it on animals all the time and there was nothing in it to hurt her. I give a lower dose than called for to be safe. I also give her vapor treatments which really make her feel good and back to normal. The vet checked her temperature (normal) her nose (not blocked) Her throat (not red or irritated) her heart(ok) her lungs (no fluid but a little raspy). Her gum color was clear and no parasites in her stool. He said next step was exrays and he wasnt sure she would survive the anethesia. He didnt really seem to care so I wasnt going to risk it. He gave me antibiotics for 10 days and by day eight she was so close to death --I quit them and was ready to let her go peacefully. I did one vapor treatment on her and she snapped out of it and started eating. So now i do the vapor and triaminic when she needs and the rest of the time she seems fine. Thus my conclusion is allergies. She only has discharge when she blows her nose or sneezes and he said it wasnt the color of infection. As far as odentome(spelling?) It came on overnight like an illness or allergy. I do not believe it to be.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Purple Bunny thankyou . She is my baby . As gentle as can be. She snuggles under my chin and wants constant petting. Her sister is fiestier but also sweet. She insists on laying in your arms on her back like a baby. They both know their own name and will come to it. and if you say theyre name and (comehere) they are twice as fast because it means a treat.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Just remembered you asked about Critical care, you can find more info here: http://www.oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=CriticalCare
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:22 PM
SwC

Oxbow generally will not allow you to order CC directly but your vet should be able to order it for you. Also please dont rule out Odontoma just yet as I had to let one of my little angels go 3 weeks ago what we and the vet also thought was allergies. My other little guy really misses his lady. Symptoms can fool you and come suddenly as they did with mine. After several rounds of antibiotics and negative xrays she got to the point of "standing/propping" herself up to attempt to sleep. I even got a second opinion and have vets experienced with PDs. Symptoms can initially be very sutle. I did use nebulizer treatments and benedryl also as needed to keep her comfortable. The loss of her upper front teeth pretty well clinched the diagnosis for us as her teeth had been in excellent condition and no trauma to result in the loss. I pray your little one doesnt have to endure this disease and regains her health quickly. "Little Noses" for infants and an aspirator work great to help with any congestion also. Also a snuggle safe does wonders to help keep them comfortable when not in your arms.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:12 PM

Anyone can order Critical Care now - no vet is needed. I always keep it in my freezer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou, I just ordered some Critical Care from Calvet Supply . Should get it in a couple of days. Dusty is doing much better. She has been much more active and eating better. And she wants to run the room again. She is also being active in her cage. Her breathing has improved and she yahoos again. I have a pan of water on the register nest to their cage and the improvement was immediate. I will just keep praying I get it right.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

dusty and diget, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby being so sick, but I know someone who's very experienced in prairie dog respiratory aliments and odentoma. Please contact her right away! Gena has given me permission on this forum to post her personal information and is available 24/7 for any prairie dog in need. Hugs 'n' Blessings to all!!!

Gena Seaberg

Consultant for Prairie Dog Care Domestically and Abroad Since 1995

2023 Adams Avenue

Everett, WA 98203

425.265.0818 office

425.870.1729 cell

[email protected]

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
prairie dog, vet clinic