I forgot to close the top door to the cage.. oh no! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to close the top door to the cage.. oh no!

Ok, here's what happened. I came in the critter room to collect food dishes. I got my gliders dish, then grabbed the pd dish. I always leave the glider cage open so they can run around. well I accidentally left the door open to the pd cage. the gliders got into the pd cage and I can only assume they scared my poor pd and he lemminged (jumped out). His top door is about 4' off the ground. I was really worried at first, but he came right to me and went right back to his cage. Didn't look hurt. Now it has been 2 days and I have noticed blood at the bottom of the cage. I believe he is peeing blood. He doesn't like strangers. So if I were to take him to a vet they would have to put him under anesthesia just to examine him. There is always a chance that an animal might not come out of the anesthesia when put under. Has anyone had anything similiar happen? The last exotic I took to a vet, well she didn't live 24 hrs after the visit. He doesn't seem hurt, no barks or warks of pain. But he did chatter all po'd at the gliders last night so I did not allow them out. any suggestions. (other than go to a vet) thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

well, I called my vet, they said that if there were major problems he would be dead by now, to crush up an asprin mix it in one ltr of water and put that in his water bottle. If it doesn't clear up by wed, to call them back. I will update the thread and necessary.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if it is peeing blood then it is possibly a bladder/kidney infection that will need antibiotics.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglypuff View Post
well, I called my vet, they said that if there were major problems he would be dead by now, to crush up an asprin mix it in one ltr of water and put that in his water bottle. If it doesn't clear up by wed, to call them back. I will update the thread and necessary.
You described blood of unknown origin, possibly urine, and they suggested aspirin? Did they say why?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

asprin makes blood thinner i would think that it would cause more bleeding then less.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

I only got to speak with the receptionist, so I didn't have the chance to ask why. They said the blood should clear up, and it looks like it has. I think the asprin was just in case he was in any pain. I will be cleaning the bottom of the cage today and I will then find if he is still urinating blood. Doesn't look like he is. He's a strong little guy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE: well he is all better, no more blood in the bottom of the cage, but he did end out loosing his two front teeth. got some baby food, some canned vegies, and smashed up some compressed heys (rabit food) to mix in with the baby food so he gets his nutrients. he's doing just fine. (he has a love for honey so I added some of that in the mixture along with a powder vitamin)

Tags
peeing blood