I'm New & have a Sick Prairie Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy I'm New & have a Sick Prairie Dog

We are owned by a wonderful Prairie Dog named Tumbleweed Pete. Pete was dropped off at our house about 10 months ago and bonded with us instantly, especially our 5 year old son & our Golden Retriever. Petey must have been young when he was brought here because he nursed on our Golden for weeks. Petey, from what little information I have found, has characteristics uncommon for most PDs. He is very social. We cage him very little. My father can visit and Petey whistles and comes running as soon as he hears Dad's voice. Also, Petey has never been much of a chewer. He has his "toys" and pretty much sticks to them. From what I have read, we are very fortunate that Petey is such a laid back boy. Well, 2 days ago Petey climbed into his cage and would not come out. A few hours later, he could hardly walk. He was very cold and limp. We do not have a vet "allowed" to see PDs in our area. Having been a wildlife rehab-er for several years we made sure Petey got fluids during the night. He slpet in bed with us for two nights and by the yesterday he was 100%. Petey did loose a little weight while he was under the weather, but his appetite was hearty once he started running aroung the house again. Then, last night Petey went into his cage and the same stuff started happening. We did the same routine and at about 4am this morning Petey was playing in bed with us. At this moment he is running around the house like nothing was ever wrong.
We have a "pet safe" house. I can only think of one thing Petey could have gotten into...a friend & her baby were visiting about 3 days ago...and I have since found 2 wet wipes that have been shredded. Could the alcohol in the wet wipes have done this to Petey? We have since searched everywhere for more wipes and have found none, thank goodness. I guess Petey must have got in the diaper bag? He often sleeps in my purse so it is a possiblilty. Has this every happened to anyone else?
Any suggestions would be great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hey there,

I don't have a lot of information to offer, but I wanted to tell you that my vet WILL see PDs and is only about 2 hours from you. She's available on the weekends for emergencies and has regular appointments through the week from 8-5. If you'd be at all interested in contacting her, the number is 704-949-1100 and her name is Dr. Powers.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll do that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

It's very possible that the wet wipes could have caused it. Have you called a vet to get their opinion? I know that PD's cannot be transported (not even to the vet!) due to the monkey pox thing, but would a vet be willing to come to your house? Please only ask this of a vet that you trust completely because PD's are illegal in your state.

Rhonda

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Last I heard, PDs could be transported for veterinary care only. Has that changed?

Stephanie

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Jade replied as I was typing my reply.

If you are able to take him to Jade's vet, please make sure he is in a carrier and that no one else sees him. I would hate to see someone get high and mighty and try to report you and have poor Petey being taken away from such a wonderful home.

By the way, I love his name!

Rhonda

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

We are allowed to transport to a vet...so far the only one I could get on the phone who "Used" to see PDs is out of town until next week. Naturally, his co-workers will not see us. Several people in our town own PDs...just no vets. I was under the impression that they were illegal to buy / sell here, but not illegal to own? In fact, a vet 2 hours away called us to see if we could take him in...??? (We do exotic rescues and my husband is a wildlife operator)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...I must say, he is one unique little guy. Any idea of how to tell how old he is?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I don't think so...I was told that if I found a vet to call ahead to make sure they do not require me to go into a seperate entrance...From that, I assumed he could go to a vet
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Last I heard, PDs could be transported for veterinary care only. Has that changed?
I didn't think so but I was reading this....
http://www.prairiedog.info/Are_Prair...n_My_State.htm
I'm still sorting through the CDC link. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to my pd's. I'm so paranoid!

Rhonda

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I have actually been to that site many times, lol. Well, lots of people know we have Petey...and there are several PDs here in town. I guess *fingers crossed* that if it were a problem we would have heard something before now. I will be extra careful when talking to the vet i mentioned. I do think I can trust him. I have known him for many years and he sees our other pets. He's just not here until next week...and I guess technically not supposed to see them. Just to be safe, I will try to get him to come to our house. We live very close to his office and maybe he can stop by at the end of office hours.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
I didn't think so but I was reading this....
http://www.prairiedog.info/Are_Prair...n_My_State.htm
I'm still sorting through the CDC link. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to my pd's. I'm so paranoid!
CDC says it's allowed:
Quote:
FDA repeats that prohibiting the capture, offer to capture,
transport, offer to transport, sale, barter, or exchange, offer to
sell, barter, or exchange, distribution, offer to distribute, and
release of listed animals is vital to prevent the monkeypox virus from
becoming established and spreading in the United States. Nevertheless,
the agency also recognizes that there are limited circumstances
warranting exemptions from some prohibitions, such as the need to
transport an animal for zoological, educational, medical, scientific,
or other purposes. Consequently, 21 CFR 1240.63(a)(2) allows you to:
[sbull] Transport a listed animal to a veterinarian or animal
control official for veterinary care, quarantine, or destruction
purposes;
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-27557.htm

Stephanie

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Whew!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:08 PM

But...what about SC? The last I knew they were illegal there, even before the ban.

I wish they would lift this stupid ban!

Rhonda

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:38 AM

Petey sounds absolutely adorable, and I am so glad that he's made a good recovery, I was scared to finish your first posting

Tags
dog food, golden retriever, prairie dog, prairie dogs, veterinary care