Just got my boy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just got my boy!

Hi everyone,
Let me first say that I have been anticipating owning a prairie dog since early 2001. As I was on the waiting list for a pup of my own, this awful ban took place. I was extremely disappointed. I think I read "Bringing a Prairie Dog Pup Into Your Home" front to back at least five times. I already had a vet lined up to do a spay/neuter. What a bummer it was! I was ecstatic to learn this past fall that the ban had been rescinded-- the wait for spring to come was awful! As soon as I saw the first ads for them this year, I had lined up to have one shipped. However, to my utter surprise, I walked into a tiny, dirty little pet store this past Thursday and found a little pup huddled up in the corner of the cage. I felt it was not wise to support such a store, but my heartstrings broke watching him in the tiny, filthy cage. As soon as I approached him, he ran up the side bars and stood as close to me in the corner as he could. I decided that I could not leave without getting the little guy. As soon as he was placed into my arms, he let out a "yahoo!" What a moment.
It was an anxious drive home. He was crammed into a tiny cardboard box and I noticed him sneezing during the trip. I got him home, set him up a new cage, and let him have a night to explore undisturbed. This afternoon, I got home from work and confirmed that the little guy has an upper respiratory infection. What a dilemma. I contemplated returning him, but I did not want to send him back into such a bad situation. I actually heard that this store simply freezes animals that get sick. On the other hand, I would hate for $200 (yeah, I know) to go down the drain so quickly. Of course I decided I couldn't let go of him so easily; he is now being treated with antibiotics twice daily. I am hoping he will be a completely healthy pup soon!

What a joy he is to have. He is already extremely attached to me-- he follows me everywhere, "yahoo"s when he sees me, and jumps at the opportunity to climb into my lap or onto my shoulder. He HATES to be in his cage, and he loves to feel EVERYTHING with his teeth. It's scary, but of course the room is PD-proof!

I think I've decided to call him Eggroll. Here are a few pictures for those interested. =]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eggroll.jpg (22.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg eggroll2.jpg (24.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg eggroll3.jpg (37.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg eggroll4.jpg (26.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 AM
I am allergic to maths

Awww congrats! He is such a cutie! We hardly get pd pics on here but when we do its such a treat! Little eggroll I love the pic of him walking out of his cage, I cant get over how sweet he is! I hope he is over his uri soon, the lovely little fuzzball! Btw, EVERYONE will be interested in your pics!

Last edited by RodentzRule; 05-09-2009 at 01:27 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Newborn Pup

Congrats on your little eggroll! I hope he feels better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He's a lot smaller than i thought they were, i thought they were like the size of a medium rabbit

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
prairie dog