Kidney Failure - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

Hi everyone! I'm new here.
I have had my PD, Pooh, for 5 years. She is 5 years old. I have learned this week that she has kidney failure. Is anyone here familiar with this? I was wondering what to expect as to her condition and what treatment is available for her, life expectancy etc. She is not in the "failure" state yet, but borderline. She has symptoms of kidney failure.
Tks for any info.
Wanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

First off have you taken your little fuzzbutt to the vet to get an appropriate evaluation and diagnosis? Is this vet one with a good degree of experience with Prairie dogs? I ask as you say she is showing "signs" of kidney failure. If you havent done so please please please take her to one. You can find a listing of available vets experienced with PD's at http://www.prairiedoglover.com/
If you cant find one listed there I'm sure there is someone there that knows of a reputable vet in your area. Also maybe contact
Gena Seaberg
Consultant for Prairie Dog Care Domestically and Abroad Since 1995
2023 Adams Avenue
Everett, WA 98203
425.265.0818 office
425.870.1729 cell
[email protected]
I cant think of anyone more knowledgable then Gena regarding prairie dogs and thier health. She also is extremely knowledgeable in thier dietary needs and can be of benefit if your pd is in actual renal failure as dietary restrictions are a big issue here. If PD Jenn comes on she may have more info that can help you out. My prayers along with my crew zoo here are with you and your little fuzzbutt as I know how difficult it can be to lose one as they grab your heart so close!! Keep us updated. Also try http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LUV-R-PDS/ as it's another very active site with people having lots of experience and support for pd's as well as RGS.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwC
First off have you taken your little fuzzbutt to the vet to get an appropriate evaluation and diagnosis? Is this vet one with a good degree of experience with Prairie dogs?
I ask as you say she is showing "signs" of kidney failure. If you havent done so please please please take her to one.
First of all, I have taken my little fuzzbutt to the vet. He did numerous test that confirmed that she does have symptoms of kidney failure and some signs of cancer. She is not in the "failure" state yet but borderline. And yes he has a good degree in treating PD's, exotics and wildlife along with the normal dogs and cats.
I thought this would be a good forum for obtaining informatin from others PD owners, their experiences and knowledge, talking, sharing, etc. I thought that maybe someone else just might have a PD in the same situation as mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Kat
Playful Pup

Sick PD...response and questions

I was wondering what symptoms did your little guy have; or does he still have them.
I have a sick prairie dog now and I am hoping someone can help me out too; b/c my vet doesn't seem to know what to do (after x-rays, blood-work (which his liver count is very low) ...I've put almost $1000 in the last two months just to keep both my babies healthy (one didn't make it (Chloe)) and the other (Caddy) I am really afraid if I can't find help for him that I will lose him too; and all the vets do is run tests and still can't figure it out; it's very frustrating & I'm hoping someone on here knows of something I can do to help mine too; but I don't know what the symptoms are for renal failure.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Will It Ever Change?

for starters, take it easy. we only want to help. we mean no harm. we just have to ask questios to know what's fully going on. please dont take offense, we're just curious i really hope your little guys get better soon! *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Feeding dandelion greens really helps the kidneys. If you can find a way to feed a lower phosphorus diet, that is the main thing.

In advanced stages, if you can do it, giving sub-Q fluids at home really helps them. But if they are to stressed about it then it might not be worth it.

A little milk thistle can also help but it's best on the liver.

Long as you can get clean dandelion's give him as much as he wants.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Angel Stewie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 AM

What symptoms is your p-dog having? I have a really sick pd as well and I'd like to figure out what's the matter with the little guy.

Was your pd vomiting a lot and drinking a ton of water?? Is this a sign of kidney failure??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Kat
Playful Pup

Response....(for Caddy my pd)

no vomitting, in fact he has stopped drinking water, I give him serenges full now (pedialyte mixed with water); his white blood cells are low and continue to get lower; nothing showed up on the xray and they want to do an ultrasound; he does have a bacteria infection (determined from a fecal float) I don't know what to do for him and it seems like I'm just spending all this money (I think in the past 6 months it's been about $900 - $1000) and the vets dont' know what to do for him; except charge me money and keep doing tests....so I'm frustrated and I'm worried b/c I will spend whatever I have to (even if I have to go without food myself for the month if it'll get him better) I recently lost the little girl and it's been hard enough with losing her, now I am so worried about losing him I am at a dead end. He eats, he still poops and urinates - but not quite himself and the low white blood count is what makes me nervous; it's more gone down over 1/2 of what it was. Please, if you know anything that can help please let me know!!!

Tags
dandelion greens, prairie dog, prairie dogs