Malocclusion! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Malocclusion!

I recently purchased a young prairie dog from a pet store with a pretty bad case of malocclusion. I'm a veterinary technician student and I've always wanted one as a pet, so I figured who better to take care of the poor thing, right? I've clipped her teeth down once so far but it is such a process because she hates it so much, and now me as a result. I asked my exotics professor about it, and he's willing to put her under anesthesia in a few weeks to shape her teeth with a dremel, but we don't know how much that will help long-term. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I try to pet her and give her little treats and stuff everyday but she is terrified of me. Would it be worth it to extract all her front teeth so I'd have a better chance at bonding with her eventually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Rodentologist

I would definitely consult with a veterinary dentist before your vet attempts to use the dremel if he's never done it before. The teeth need to be planed at the correct angle or you could cause serious problems.

It may help in the long term if the problem is due poor diet and not due to genetic malformation. Is he getting a diet high in fiber now (with plenty of hay?)

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My vet has experience with exotic animals and has used a dremel before so I trust him, and I always make sure she has hay along with her food and vegetables that she gets.
Has anyone else had experience with this?

Tags
malocclusion, prairie dogs, teeth