My first Prairie Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My first Prairie Dog

On Friday night, I bought my little Kasa, and brought her home.

Since then, I've been talking to her, and petting her, and in general giving her lots of attention, and letting her know that she is safe in her new home.

The only problem is, she won't accept that she IS safe. I haven't seen her leave her hide-box ONCE. I've tried to hand feed her, and I put a water bottle right next to her so she could drink, but she just won't do either.

I don't know how PDs are when you first bring them home- Is it normal for them to want to hide for days on end? If not, what can I do to make her feel more comfortable in her new home? I'm really worried that she just won't get used to her surroundings due to being so darn stubborn. :c

Please... Any feedback or help will do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Any help will do- I'm just a ted bit desperate at the moment for an answer.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I don't know if we're making progress, but I just took her out of her cage, and she wanted straight back in, which has been the norm since I got her.
But instead of going into her little igloo, she went on top of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

She pretty much walks all around her cage without being scared, now. So some definite progress is being made. I can also take her out and hold her, but she is still a bit scared of that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

It seems as though she's taken a step back. She won't let me touch her unless she is tired, now.

All she wants to do is scratch and bite me.

Not that people on this forum care much, as I haven't had ONE answer trying to help.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would help if I could but I really don't know PDs all that well. Maybe PDs need a little more time..and maybe a little on their terms?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Newborn Pup

I don't get on here much because there doesn't seem to be any discussions. It depends on the age and surroundings. I've had my PD for about a year and he freaks if you take him away from his cage. He is fine as long as he is close to his cage. If there is alot of noise your girl may be frightened and you have to remember everything is bigger than her. It takes some of them longer to adjust than others. Just be patient and sit next to her cage and talk to her. She will get used to your voice and learn to recognize you. If she is young I'm sure she has been adjusting since she was born. Just be patient she will come around.

Rescue one until there are none

Proud momma of 7 dogs: Patches, Lacey, Lil Bit, Lilly, Sugar, Sebastian & Sammy. .
4 Rabbits: Lola, Greasy, Cookie, Timmy
6 Chinchillas: Pepper, Skitzo, Dakota, Dash, Thumper & Cody
1 Prairie Dog: Bear
1 Cat: Andy
1 Degu: Madeline
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Newborn Pup

Hello!! how is ur PD going? Hope is going Ok. As rescue momma told you.. be patient, I dont know how old is our prairie dog, if she has been captured, etc. but all these points are important in understanding her behaviour. Mines are 100% domestic but i have spent a lot of time with them keep trying and let me know how she is going.

Regards

Tags
hiding, prairie dog