My new prarie dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My new prarie dog

So, I went to an indy reptile expo about 2 months ago. I seen the prairie dogs and I fell in love with them. I didn't get one yet because I wanted to do my research be for getting one so I knew what I was getting myself into. Well the next show wasn't for 2 months and i found out they only were available once a year and I didn't thing I was going to get one.. But I found someone who had 2 left and I was able to get one. I was told he was a female, but he is deff a male.. He is a good temperament. Comes right to you when you open up his cage and loves to be rubbed on, but the thing is he don't like to be picked up if you let him wonder the ground for more then 5 min or so.. He makes some type of noise and tries to bite. I'm not to sure on the calls that they make and what they mean, but if someone can maybe explain some of them or link something that can help me better understand. and give me any pointers to what I should do when he tries to bite when I pick him up or try to put him back in his enclosure. Other then the not like being picked up he does great! Also, is it a must to get the males fixed? I have been told some can get away with not being fixed and others wish they would have. Sorry for the long post. Had alot to say.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

116 views and not 1 comment?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Playful Pup

prairie dogs as pets. neat. they don't sell prairie dogs where I'm at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Newborn Pup

My prairie dog did this when I first got him also, I think he just didn't want to be put away, I picked him up and pet him and put him back down and now he does a lot better... The sound your talking about sounds like an angry squirrel, right? So far that and a squeaky noise he makes when we sneeze, cough, or sigh loudly are the only noises I've heard from mine. I can't find any info on them anywhere as far as body language.

Tags
pair