My PD with odontoma - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

My PD with odontoma

My 2 year old PD (Butter) started having a hard time breathing 1 1/2 weeks ago. I took her to the vet. Where they gave me an antibiotic to give Butter for an upper respiratory infection. Butter didn't get any better so I took her back. They xrayed her and found that she has odontoma. He told me the outlook was very bad and that he had tried surgery to correct it on one other PD and it died. He did try the surgery on another PD that had died naturally.

After hearing this I started searching about odontoma and found several vets in my state that did work on PDs. My wife called all of them and all said that it very hard surgery and they problably wouldn't make it. One even told my wife that she has done 12 and all twelve didn't make it.

We decided to let our local vet (Dr. Neunzig of Bessemer City, NC)try to save Butter. Dr. Neunzig wanted to do the surgery after hours so he could put all of his attention on Butter.

Well that was 2 nights ago. Butter is still alive and improving! We are hoping to bring her home tomorrow evening. I am just so happy! I had to tell someone, and also find out if anyone else had success with this. Also any input on how to care for her now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Conrad Iam so very happy for your family and your baby! I know what thats like because me and my husband had some problems with our pd surgar one vet told me our surgar was going to die and only had 3-4 weeks to live and surgery was not an option. I got a second opion and all she had was a respiratory infection if you look under post I believe gena s. name and info is there. She is an expert in pds and works all over the world with them, she has educated us so much on our baby, in fact I did the same thing you did research on the internet and that is how I found paw-talks. The first vet told us she had odontoma I should have known better when she had to look it up in a book. I think the post is under PDs and odontoma lots of luck and I hope butter will be alright. bye bye Amyk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

amyk When I did a search on Odontoma it took me to your post and my wife contacted Gena. She gave us alot of helpful information.

Butter came home today and is eating and drinking. Though she still has the hole in the head from surgery. But it should close up in a couple of days and breath thru her nose only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so thrilled for you! So often you only hear the horror stories of odentoma, but there are success cases. Yahoo!!!!

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Just an update. The hole in Butter's head has closed up. Her sinuses is swollen so she can't breath thru her nose. She is mouth breathing. I took her to the vet and he gave her a steroid shot and fluids and the swelling went down enough to get one nostrel open. I guess I jump the gun it still is going to be awhile to get her completly healed.
I'll keep everyone updated! Any info on after care. Will help.

Tags
respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection