my prairiedog is loosing weight. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

my prairiedog is loosing weight.

Hi i am new to this forum. I have had 2 prairiedogs(neutered) for 7 years one of them(Dodo) died in october. He was a little obese when he was younger, but in the last year he had lost weight because he was digging a lot in the garden and shredded cardboard boxes all day. I thought he lost weight because he was busy all day. The last week of his live he had thrown up his food and after that he stopped eating and drinking. He died 7 days later totaly skinny. That was really shocking. Now the other one(Pietje) is loosing weight too. He eats normally and is also doing his normal daytime stuff. Does anyone know what that is is it because he is old and also in his last few moths or is it a desease?

I hope someone can help.

Kind regards

Felix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Rodentologist

Go to the vet. Virtually every malady a small animal can have will result in weight loss. Your vet will be able to do x-rays and blood work to try and determine what is causing the weight loss. Please don't let him starve to death like your other prairie dog did.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

well i am trying to avoid the stressfull situation with going to the vet. I always thought that prairiedogs where strong animals and couln't get deseases like rabbits and hamsters. My prairiedog is eating and acting normal. What kind of a desease could it be? Most vets over here have never worked with prairiedogs they are really uncommon over here in the Netherlands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Rodentologist

Small animals in general are not very "strong". They are prone to getting diseases and cancers and will hide them up until the very last moment when the pain becomes too bad to cover up. Prey animals will always try to hide weaknesses to survive a little bit longer.

There's no way to narrow down what type of disease it may be. Virtually anything that could be causing him pain. Kidney disease, liver disease, arthirits, cancer, overgrown teeth, you name it. There's no way to diagnose it over the internet. At the very least, go to the vet and get some handfeeding formula so that he's not starving to death.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Part of the Pack

a trip to the vet is probably a lot less stressful than illness would be. Better to be safe and hit up the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
prairiedog losing weight