New PD...Need Advice. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question New PD...Need Advice.

Hello everyone. this is my first post on this website. i was glad to find a place like this for exotic pet forums. i just bought a PD yesterday. actually it was a b day present from my wife. i set up his cage and toys and such, and gave him plenty of food and water. he seems to have somewhat adjusted to his new environment. but i was wondering how to go about starting the "bonding" process with my new furry friend. he still seems pretty skiddish and wont let me pick him up yet. what do i need to do to get him to warm up to me. any advice would be outstanding. thanks for your time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Welcome to paw-talk

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

He's going to need longer then a day to get adjusted....

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It's going on 5 days that I've had him now. He let's me touch him now, but is still pretty hesitant to let me pick him up. The lady at the pet store said it would take a couple of weeks. Is there anything I can do to help him warm up to me?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Newborn Pup

Same thing here. Just brought one home yesterday and am wondering how to go about bonding with it. It is very skiddish and will not let me pick it up.

I had some in the past that were adults when I bought them and they were not like this. Also had another young one before and he was not so skiddish.

This one is about 4 months old (this is what the pet store told me at least).

Any advice on ways to get him to warm up to me would be appreciated. I know it will take some time but want to do all I can to help him get used to us.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM

I just got two there very cuddly and playful and instantly all they wanted to do was cuddle and be held, problem is the boy pd and my fiance were rough housing over the weekend now hes totally wild and wants to rough house and wrestle and bite now so I cant house him with the baby girl since shes too small and when he tried to play with her she screamed and didnt like it at all. SO now I have to re-tame him!. How I bonded and tamed him initially was I put him in a fleece pouch, just scoop him up put him in it and hold him for hours, itll get him used to you. You wanna start this asap so you have a cuddly pet that loves you for life! You wanna handle him as much as possible while there young. I have NO LIFE right now what so ever since I cant house my 2 pd`s together and I have to constantly hold one or the other lol. GOOD LUCK!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Newborn Pup

He or she can't tell just yet seems to have warmed up to me somewhat. I have been holding him in my lap for an hour or two at a time a couple times a day. I have also been sitting by the cage with the door open and putting my hand in there and playing with him/her. He has been giving me lots of love bites and seems to actually like me. I am just going to keep it up and eventually he will be tame enough for me to let him run around in the living room (supervised of course).

They are totally like having babies since you have to spend so much time with them. Every since I had my son (human one) I have not had a life and now with the new pdog I will definitely not have one. But hey it's cheaper than going out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I just got two there very cuddly and playful and instantly all they wanted to do was cuddle and be held, problem is the boy pd and my fiance were rough housing over the weekend now hes totally wild and wants to rough house and wrestle and bite now so I cant house him with the baby girl since shes too small and when he tried to play with her she screamed and didnt like it at all. SO now I have to re-tame him!. How I bonded and tamed him initially was I put him in a fleece pouch, just scoop him up put him in it and hold him for hours, itll get him used to you. You wanna start this asap so you have a cuddly pet that loves you for life! You wanna handle him as much as possible while there young. I have NO LIFE right now what so ever since I cant house my 2 pd`s together and I have to constantly hold one or the other lol. GOOD LUCK!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Newborn Pup

I would get an old towel that you don't care about and hold your pdog a few times a day for as long as possible. The towel will help so you don't get scratched and bitten and also for all the little nervous turds it will have. This seems to be working for me. Just don't give up.

Also let all of us know how you are doing with your pdog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR0718 View Post
It's going on 5 days that I've had him now. He let's me touch him now, but is still pretty hesitant to let me pick him up. The lady at the pet store said it would take a couple of weeks. Is there anything I can do to help him warm up to me?

Tags
new owner, prairie dog