New Prairie Dog Owner! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Talking New Prairie Dog Owner!

I'm both new to this forum and to owning a pd! I just got my little pup this past Saturday. At first he was a bit skittish and shy; he wanted nothing to do with me. But just after a couple of days, he's my little baby and loves attention. He's an absolute joy to have, even the dogs think so. Yesterday was his first "official" introduction to one of the dogs, Maya, the yorkie. He loved her and followed her everywhere; it was adorable to watch, truly. I'm so excited! He's momma's little boy. Anyways, I have to go now, before this forum logs me out and doesn't allow my post. This is my second time trying to post, I sure hope this one works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

And let me add something, I am still learning about the sounds and noises they make. He always is making what I believe the yahoo sound in the mornings, but I'm not sure. All I know is he's so happy and rubbing up against me to be pet. He does this little jump after he makes the noise too, it's so cute. If anyone could let me know the different noises and what they mean, that'd be so helpful. Thanks!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I am allergic to maths

Awww, congrats, he sounds cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats, he sounds adorable. I wish they were sold around here!

Oh, and welcome to Paw-Talk!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

For anyone interested in pictures, it won't allow me to post pics with only 2 posts (I need at least 20). But I do have pics on my page in my photo album.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstella92 View Post
And let me add something, I am still learning about the sounds and noises they make. He always is making what I believe the yahoo sound in the mornings, but I'm not sure. All I know is he's so happy and rubbing up against me to be pet. He does this little jump after he makes the noise too, it's so cute. If anyone could let me know the different noises and what they mean, that'd be so helpful. Thanks!
I remember my prairie dog making that noise as well. I think it was more of a 'mee-yay-haw' but that's pretty close to 'yahoo' and it's surely because he's happy. They're really great pets..I miss mine a lot. Do you suppose you could post a video on youtube of him doing that greeting, and give me the link? I was trying to find a video/sound clip of this, and can't find it anywhere.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Newborn Pup

Congrats! They're such a joy to have.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 AM

yes it is a yahoo, definitely a happy noise. they also chatter when they get mad or frustrated. yahoo, has been used to describe the noise at other forums. They also bark and that is an alarm sound.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 AM

the sound you are refering to is called a jump-yip. in the wild it is used to signal danger, and all clear; but in captivity it is just a way of saying hello.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 PM

thank you very much! i found a couple of videos with it in it, although they aren't as enthusiastic or adorable as my old PD's. i wish they would lift the ban on buying/selling them so i could get another.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I am allergic to maths

I dont know much about it but I thought the ban has been lifted?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM

the ban was lifted september 8th 2008, but each state might be different.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The ban was lifted! That's how I have mine. I was recently "scolded" for having a pd, someone was saying they're illegal to have, but to my understand they're not. I purchased my pd from a local pet store who was advertising them. I can't imagine some place advertising them if they weren't legal. Anyways, the pet store is called Amazon Aquarium in Fort Worth for those of you interested. I think they still have pups, little girls. fyi And I don't know how to load up videos on here. Maybe I'll figure it out eventually. But for those of you wanting videos of him (there are a couple with him doing his "yahoo"), you can check out my personal blog: lifeoftds.blogspot.com. You'll have to scroll down a bit to find the videos; I have a few posts of Charlie on the blog, too.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Newborn Pup

Yep! The ban's been lifted. I got my new pup this past Saturday, the 2nd.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Playful Pup

Hi, this is my first post under the user name Lyris. I was once Poochie Lover but due to computer problems I couldn't get on this forum for a few years.

I own three prairie dogs now. My first one died a couple of years ago and I was devastated losing Moe. I only had him seven years.

I have two others who are over three years old and Tallulah who is eight.

I didn't know the ban was lifted, how exciting!!! When did this happen?

How did this happen?