Ok I Need To Learn How To Potty Train My Pds!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ok I Need To Learn How To Potty Train My Pds!!

pLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANY INFO OR BOOKS I CAN GET!!!!

~!Alexzandria!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

If you figure it out, let me know because mine just go wherever they please!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Talking

LOL, they pretty much will decide this on thier own. Put a corner litter box in thier enclosure and put abit of Yesterday's News or Carefresh bedding in it. Find a few of the little "nuggets" they tend to leave around and put in the litter box. Be sure the box is one large enough for them to be comfortable in. You can also take note to where they seem to go the most in thier enclosure such as a particular corner and place it there. They will get the hang of it sooner or later. Also when they are out for "Playtime" be sure thier cage/enclosure is open and easily accessible as mine tend to run back to thier cage when they go. Now keep in mind that this seems primarily for when they go "wee" but not when they go "poo" lol. They will leave the little nuggets where ever but tend to be particular where they urinate at. You may not be able to train them to go poo in it when out but they will go back to thier cage to wee. One of mine is adamant to use the litter box either way but the other one will only wee in it then poo any where. You may also notice they will poo alot when they get scared or nervous such as in the carrier to go to the vets and such. Fortunately PD poo isnt messy so just keep a small dustpan and hand broom/brush handy. Other pd owners may have other suggestions also. Just remember each PD has thier own little personality and will do this in time. If I remember correct your's are still very young "pups" so give them time. Also be sure to clean the cage regularly (once weekly is recommended with the litter box daily) as if you let it get too dirty they wont care where they go and it also opens them up to respiratory problems due to the ammonia.

Again please check out the main page of http://www.prairiedoglover.com/ as there is a great deal of information that may be helpful to you. Also get involved in the other sites too as there are alot more of us with PD's out here then people even realize that can help with alot of advice. Just keep in mind ever PD is very individual what works for one maynot for another.

Last edited by SwC; 06-14-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Just wondering how your little ones are coming along with the transition to a new home?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

doin good!! I love them !! They are very stubborn but funny and i just love them!

~!Alexzandria!~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:27 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Are you in the Destin area? Think a friend of mine who just picked up some Richard Ground Squirrels I had arranged as a rescue mission and decided to keep them may have met you in the Pet store? If so very very small world lol. He said the girl working there had 2 new babies about 10 weeks old.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ya thats me!!! Lol!!!!!! I work at a Petland !

~!Alexzandria!~
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:02 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

LOL very small world. I'm in Daytona and he drove to ft. lauderdale to do the rescue for me. He'd be a good local contact if you should need help with your little ones also.

Tags
carefresh bedding, litter box, pet store