passed out prairie dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

passed out prairie dog

Have any of you other prairie dog owners ever seen your pet (or relocators seen wild ones) experience what can best be described as a fainting spell ? Twice now, with two different pets, & 1 wild pd. we have witnessed strange behavior. One wild caught adult male, during a relocation, we put in a cage & he fell over on his back & didn't move. We got him out, & handled him till he came to. I am not sure whether he was breathing or not. After a few minutes he seemed perfectly fine. We put him back in the cage & went on working. He died later. He appeared to be old. Poss. heart attack?
A while back, one of our pets, Norman, did the same thing. Out of the blue, he just keeled over. We poked him, & spoke to him with no response. My husband picked him up & he was limp as a dish rag.
Again we worked with him till he came out of it. Today, it happened again, another pet, Bang-Bang, a very healthy 4 year old female. This time we were sitting near-by, I looked up just in time to see her fall over backwards. I don't know if she was sitting or standing before, but she went limp, just like the others had. We are scared to death that if we hadn't been here for them, they may have just laid there & died. Maybe we are just over-protective parents, but we are afraid to leave them alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

We'll occasionally see syncopal episodes in patients with heart problems.

I couldn't find a good explanatory veterinary link, but here's a human one:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3385.htm
Quote:
Background: Syncope, defined as a transient loss of consciousness and postural tone with spontaneous recovery, is an extremely common medical problem. Syncope affects patients of all ages, both with and without other medical conditions, and has a broad number of causes.
A vet check might be in order to run some routine bloodwork, listen to the heart, etc.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM
SwC

May be what we call "Shutdown". Many prairie dogs experience this if they get cold or can be for various other reasons. They also can suffer strokes or clots. For shutdown you need to ensure they get warmed up and also stimulate them until they awake. I know I have found mine in this state on an occasion or 2 and it's scary. You think they have died right then and there only to find they are just so far out of it then they come around. They can die from this if not stimulated out of the state.

Tags
dog owners, prairie dog, prairie dogs