PD has no teeth!!! What happened? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

PD has no teeth!!! What happened?

Hi I have two PD's one male and one female. They are both about 5-6 years old. We have had them since they were babies. The male was only recently neutered. A couple of years ago they had a litter of babies. I live in FL and the PD's stay outdoors year round with fans or heaters on them depending on the weather. The PD's are actually my mothers now since I moved to an apartment and could not take them. I recently noticed that the female has NO TEETH. I have researched on the computer and have not found anything about PD's losing there teeth and what might cause it. Will they grow back? And how did this happen? We have started feeding her baby food (sweet potato, squash, green bean, and banana). I know this is not the healthiest diet for her but she is losing weight because she is unable to eat her PD cubes anymore. Any suggestions on what to feed her. What about old fashioned oatmeal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Will It Ever Change?

put her food in water to soften it. take her to the vet! *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Rodentologist

You need to buy some of Oxbow's "Critical Care" as a handfeeding supplement. It's designed to be fed to herbivores which cannot eat for medical purposes in order to help pull them through.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM

you could also grind up the hay, and mix it in some canned pumpkin. I had a pd with odentoma and I believe it was critical care that a wonderful person brought me. My boy has broken his teeth a few times. If they don't have adequate stuff to chew to wear their teeth they will definitely break off.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It needs to go to the vet to be checked out, word of warning about the canned pumpkin, it works as a laxitive and there fore can cause more damage then good if feed over a longer time.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:22 AM

my boy is now a member of the no front teeth club. He is now eating: canned vegies, sweet potato baby food with some mashed up rabbit food and a powered vitamin supplement maybe some apple all thrown in a food processor. time to look up the critical care.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Rodentologist

Critical Care is a godsend. You can buy it online at some places:

http://www.bunnybunchboutique.com/firstaid2.html

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Newborn Pup

i realize this is an old post so i don't know if anyone will see it but im going to get my baby in like a week and im nervous this will happen to him. so how do you stop this from happening? what kind of stuff to chew on? just wood or what? and this may be a stupid question but once they are gone are they gone forever or do they grow back?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 06:16 AM

You would think that they'd grown back because rodent's teeth constantly grow, you know? I'm not sure though...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Newborn Pup

I had a pd that lost his teeth at the age of 5. He became very ill and we lost him when he was 6. His illness was kidney failure which the vet believed caused the teeth to fall out and his blindness. The teeth never grew back. However, I now have two pds and one broke a tooth off right up into his gums. That tooth grew back in record time. It just depends on their age and health whether the teeth grow back or not. At least that is my experience.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Newborn Pup

My PD lost her teeth, and they grew back in just a few days... she's still very young though.

Tags
no teeth, prairie dog