PD tail bristling - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

PD tail bristling

I have had three Pd's as companions. My first and most loved pet "Pup" was a real character. I was wondering if other Pd owners have witnessed this behavior: sometimes when I scolded him "Pup" would turn his back to me, turn front paws around and brush his bristled tail upwards. He would repeat this behavior several times taking a few steps forward before each brushing. All the while looking at me as to say "kiss my tail". Love to hear if anyone else has had this experience. He had a bag full of funny behaviors, but this was the one that really cracked my girlfriend and me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Not to sound rude, but did you ever do any research on PD behaviour before getting them?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yes, I read practically everything availabe before getting my first Pd "PuP" and have kept Pd's for 15 years. I am very knowledgable about Pd behavior. This was an extremely comical behavior even for a Pd and none of my other Pds did this particular behavior. I was just wondering if this hilarious sight has been witnessed by other Pd owners. I knew what tail bristling meant, but this was a very complex and intentional act. I wish I had been able to get it on video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Playful Pup

When they turn their back to you and their tail bristles and it goes upward then he or she is angry with you.

What ever you are doing to get this reaction, stop doing it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM

I've never seen mine brush their tail fur up like you describe.
Bristle? yes. Use their paws to brush up the fur? Never.

Side note:
I think the replies made by chinchi and lyris in response to this post were written in a sarcastic manner and were non helpful. Rather unnecessary.

It was clear to me the poster was asking about the brushing up behavior. And the poster clarified that in his/her reply but then got another curt response.

Something to think about....replying in a non snarky way is much more useful if the goal is to spark a discussion and hopefully provide education and information.

....Why would someone want to remain a member here and post questions if they are afraid they will be treated in a rude manner or made to feel they are ignorant?

I came here today to see if this was a place that I would like to spend time....and first impression... is not so good.

There are only a few places to discuss Prairie dogs... why drive people off? Isn't it better to foster participation in the forum by treating posters in an appropriate manner?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Playful Pup

No I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I've owned prairie dogs for over ten years. I think I know a thing or two about them, but I still ask people who are experts questions.

Indeed when a prairie dog turns his or her back on you and his or her tail bristles they are angry, stop doing whatever you are doing and let them calm down. Sometimes they chirp and that also means that they are angry as well.

If these facts drive people away then they shouldn't own prairie dogs. The idea is to know what makes your pet happy or angry, or is harmful to them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That's awesome...I have left this forum due to snarky behavior ....and I just came here for a little bit and this is what I found...lighten up people...honestly

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Playful Pup

I'm not angry with p_dog, I merely explained what I know about prairie dogs. I'm hoping p_dog isn't angry with me, but just misunderstood.

There have been too many people who have bought prairie dogs who don't take proper care of them and the poor creatures suffer for it. Hopefully they come here to learn so they can start caring and loving their babies the way they should be.

I don't believe there was snarky behavior on either side, but misunderstanding and concern.

Tags
tail bristling