PDs "doing their business" where they eat?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question PDs "doing their business" where they eat??

I am a bit dumbfounded. I thought PDs always try to use the bathroom away from their food or bed. ?? Is this normal? They pull their hay out of the bin and place it there on the floor and then always use that spot for their bathroom. Is there something I can do to stop them from doing this? I don't want them to poison their own food.

Also, how old is too old to litter-pan train them? Mine are almost a year old now. And man, they are hard-headed.

Thank you for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I just want to start by saying I have ZERO experience with prairie dogs besides reading about them.

But if they're anything like rabbits, they might enjoy eating and pooping at the same time. So if it were me I'd try offering them a litterpan filled with hay in addition to where you currently keep the hay (is it in a hay rack?). You'd have to chance the litterpan frequently but it's an idea. You might be able to litter-train them that way .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Herp Nerd

The five prairie dogs I've had, none have ever litter pan trained. They always pick one side or the other of their cage and tend to go there. Doesn't really seem to matter what else is there, they just go where they like to go. Sometimes they'll randomly switch it up too and pick another corner for a while.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It just looks so nasty with their poop pebbles in the middle of the cage. I noticed a few times that one of my PDs would back up to one of the corners, but I think she just gave up on keeping it clean since HE wouldn't. Ha Ha. Although, Bucky is the one who makes the bed! Funny but true.

I am going to try and get a litter pan and work with them for awhile and see if I can get them to realize that there IS a proper place to do their business. I am getting them a new home (cage)-should be here Monday-and would like to keep it nice and clean...without seeing poop right in the middle of the cage.

But of course, I still love em! They are honory for sure, but I love em. Adorable little babies.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Newborn Pup

I had the same problem at first. I got around it by putting their food right by where they sleep, since they keep that area the cleanest.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Newborn Pup

Mine will crap in the litter tray half the time and the test everywhere else. Both of them use the tray so its not one or the other. I think they're just quite undisciplines with it because no matter what I'm going to clean it up for them

Tags
pd litter training