Please Read if any of you have EMERGENCY with Prairie Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Kat
Playful Pup

Exclamation Please Read if any of you have EMERGENCY with Prairie Dog

I've read several messages asking for help with their prairie dog b/c he or she isn't moving or seem 'limp' and 'lethargic' - for those of you who have this problem - you need to immediately get some electrolytes in their system. You can use Gatorade or Pedialyte. Pedialyte is preferred b/c it has less sugar, but if you can't get to that right away; use a syringe or even a straw to get this in their systems. It should pep them right up and hold them over until you can get them to a vet.
I know b/c I had this happen to my prairie dog; He's almost 9 years old now and if a vet hadn't told me to do that 5 years ago I would've lost my precious Caddy; so this is for anyone looking for help if something like this happens to their prairie dog.
In fact I mix critical care and gatorade/pedialyte with a little water every other day for him; it's got vitamins and minerals and helps keep his electroytes balanced. It makes all the difference in the world.
Anyway, I hope this helps and able to save your babies out there if you are looking for help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Kat
Playful Pup

Emergency Care - USE GATORADE Or PEDIALYTE for Pds who seem lethargic/limp

I got this advice from an exotic vet that I take my pds to. (Westgate Pet and Bird Hospital in Austin, Texas)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Kat
Playful Pup

I wanted to add to this for other emergency situations:
If you have a pd with a broken toenail, you can use corn starch until the bleeding stops, just keep applying until bleeding stops.

If you have a pd with broken or missing teeth, you need to get him/her to the vet as soon as possible. They will need to examine and trim the tooth if broken;

Broken teeth can lead to common and painful prairie dog disease (odeometric - sp?) and you want to do everything you can to prevent this from happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Kat
Playful Pup

I'm adding this message for those who 'google' - Sick Prairie dog.
Use gatorade or pedialyte through syringe or straw if he/she seems lethargic, no energy, limp
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Rodentologist

If at all possible, use unflavored Pedialyte with small animals, and especially with hind gut fermenters, because the sugar in gatorade and flavored pedialyte can cause bacterial overgrowth and/or bloat. Unflavored is sold in most pharmacies and bigger stores (Walmart, Target) right next to the children's flavored!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Kat
Playful Pup

Thumbs up Thank you! (I forgot to add that in there)

Yes, Sorry I forgot to add that! Very true!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 PM

My 9 year old Prairie Dog is putting her finger in her ear. She does have a lymph node swollen not far from it. Live in Dallas,Texas. Anyone know a Good Prairie Dog Vet in N.E. Dallas. Well travel to Flower Mound or Arlington but will like a Vet nearer to me since I am disabled. Thanks in Advance- Hilda
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I am sorry I do not live in Texas so I am not of too much help but I can suggest trying to google some local rodent vets (or maybe a phone book?) and calling around to see what they charge and what kind of experience they have etc?? Hope this helps. How is the little one doing?

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Newborn Pup

Southlake Animal Hospital in Southlake, TX. I live in the Dallas area and I drive about 30 minutes to Dr. Moore for my prairie dogs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Newborn Pup

New to the forum

Hello, my name is Kat and I am new to the forum. I just found this website after searching for some info on Pdogs. I have a pd and she is just about 10 years old. I have some concerns though lately regarding her health. She has always been very healthy and I have never had any problems with her. I just recently moved from Florida to Minnesota. Only in the past 2 months since winter started has she began not acting like her normal self. She is almost like in hibernation mode, and has lost some weight, not really eating much. This is really concerning me because I'm not sure whats wrong. I don't really know if Pdogs hibernate. She has never done this, only since moving to where the weather changes and the climate is different. Can anyone give me some ideas? Also, is there anyone who knows of a vet in the Twin Cities area? One who deals with exotics, especially pd's. Thanks.