Please read! Limited quantities of prairie dog pups available late spring 2010. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Please read! Limited quantities of prairie dog pups available late spring 2010.

Donít miss out on a rare opportunity to own a truly remarkable pet!

Limited quantities of humanely captured (not vacuum caught) black tailed prairie dogs will be available late spring 2010.

In 2003, the FDA placed a ban on prairie dogs and other rodent species because they were exposed to the rare zoonotic disease, monkey pox. The ban was established due to a limited outbreak in the Midwest caused by improper quarantine procedures and mishandling of certain species of African rodents that were caged next to prairie dogs, exposing them to the disease. Following 2003, the isolated outbreak was contained and there was no longer any public health threat.

In September of 2008, the FDA removed the ban on the sale of prairie dogs and they are now available to the public in those states that donít have laws prohibiting their sale or possession.

Offering limited quantities of prairie dog pups via the pet trade helps fund relocation of vast amounts of wild prairie dogs when no funding is available to move them. Relocations help save wild prairie dogs from development, poisoning, and worse. They also preserve this keystone species and the numerous plants and animals that depend on them for the future of our nationís prairie ecosystem. It costs a great deal of money to provide well managed relocations; it is not a free endeavor. Providing a few pups to committed, well educated, long-term and loving homes helps countless wild prairie dogs relocate to where they are protected and valued. Suitable, protected land for relocation is scarce and what is available is only capable of sustaining populations of limited size so that an entire colony can thrive. Limited pups in the pet trade thin out the numbers so that those relocated donít overcrowd a release site. Pups in knowledgeable homes have a future they wouldnít have otherwise. I want to make clear that I DO NOT endorse having prairie dogs sit unclaimed in pet stores.

If you are interested in obtaining a pet prairie dog, do not delay. Contact me privately at kato at spro.net for more information. Proper preparations must be made in advance to ensure success with your pup(s). The process must start soon so that you are ready once the pups arrive. It is far better to be proactive with this animal than reactive and any preparations you make early will ensure an easier integration into your home. Again, this notice is intended for anyone wanting to provide long-term, knowledgeable, quality care to a very precious resource. This is not a casual commitment. Pups will be available in late April to early May and you must contact me ASAP to indicate your interest and get the process started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0194.jpg (79.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0442.jpg (76.0 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Newborn Pup

do we have to live near you?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

no, there are various locations for pickup in the US
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Newborn Pup

Where is the closest area near skokie illinois? Do you breed them?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Please contact me privately to inquire further from information above. Thanks!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Newborn Pup

"DO NOT endorse having prairie dogs sit unclaimed in pet stores"

The only person or place that "Endorses" them sitting there is the pet stores that buy them! Nobody should be trying to make feel they need to buy an animal so it doesnt sit in a pet store! That to me is saying unresponsible breeder or seller....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena Seaberg View Post

Limited quantities of humanely captured (not vacuum caught) black tailed prairie dogs will be available late spring 2010.
its not a breeder it is wild captured.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
its not a breeder it is wild captured.
Doesnt matter either way. Nobody should be trying to make people feel bad to buy an animal. I've been rescuing them because people jump in and buy one and don't know what it takes to take care of one and they end up getting rid of them.

A responsible breeder or wild caught seller should be more worried about the care they animal will get with an owner rather then how fast they can make someone feel bad to buy one so they can make money.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm not disagreeing with you.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Playful Pup

I bought four of my Prairie Dogs in a local pet shop and they were great. I hope I can buy at least two of them next Spring if I don't have other problems that I had this year.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluvxkittenx View Post
"DO NOT endorse having prairie dogs sit unclaimed in pet stores"

The only person or place that "Endorses" them sitting there is the pet stores that buy them! Nobody should be trying to make feel they need to buy an animal so it doesnt sit in a pet store! That to me is saying unresponsible breeder or seller....
I agree with you, what I'm saying is that in 15 years of working with prairie dogs, I do not like to see prairie dogs sit in pet stores where someone that doesn't specialize in them ends up feeding and housing them improperly and then giving poor care advise to a species they no nothing about. Then the public, trusting the "well intended" pet store worker, ends up coming to me for help after years of damage from misinformation. I'd prefer they get the right start is all, education up front to make an educated choice and commitment to the animal.

I have worked with several zoos in the past that have had similar challenges when you have the lion keeper that specializes in species of Felidae also in charge of feeding and maintaining the prairie dog exhibit. They will often feed them a highly fatty diet or give nutrition that doesn't even remotely come close to what they'd experience in their wild setting. The lions do great though.

This is why people need to make educated, well placed purchases of animals. That was what I was saying. Nothing bad to either place because their intentions are good, they just don't specialize in prairie dogs enough to educate others and the animals in their care suffer.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Lyris, what problems did you have this year? Do you still have the four you purchased from the pet store?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyris View Post
I bought four of my Prairie Dogs in a local pet shop and they were great. I hope I can buy at least two of them next Spring if I don't have other problems that I had this year.
Lyris, what problems did you have this year? Do you still have the four you purchased from the pet store?
Edit/Delete Message

Tags
prairie dog