Posts RE new homes for PDs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Posts RE new homes for PDs

Due to the current ban on the sale or transport of prairie dogs except for veterinary care in the US, we cannot allow posts regarding rehoming prairie dogs. This qualifies as a transport and as such is currently illegal in the United States. Up until the ban is lifted, we must enforce this policy. We will try to stay up to date on the issue and keep our members updated as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry I guess I broke the rules about this topic. I assure you I do prairie dog translocations with the proper permits from the FDA/CDC, & Tx. Parks & Wildlife. The only reason I mention relocating is, we are desperate to find places for several hundred animals this summer. We need help! If we don't find land for them, they will be eradicated. Please help us save these adorable creatures. thanks Deana
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm not trying to cause a problem and mean no disrespect, but how is what members post illegal for the forum?

It is illegal everywhere to transport or re-home prairie dogs, but doing it and chatting about it are two very different things. There's no law restricting what can be said (typed) about prairie dogs. If there are post are made from those searching for a pd, or needing to place their pd the FDA can do nothing about it. I understand the need for concern, but if specifics or plans are not posted then the forum is can not be help accountable.

I'm asking because this forum is such a wonderful place for pd people to connect and find help. God Bless!!!

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

OK I'm confused. Can we discuss this topic, or not? I don't want to break the rules, because I enjoy reading other pet owners' stories & getting advice. It's kind of like a support group where I don't even have to leave home. Like I said before, we do have the permits required to do relocations, legally. This is a subject very dear to our hearts, as we got started doing this as a memorial to our first pet prairie dog, Beefcake, which we had to have put to sleep. This happened at the same time as a piece of property was sold to build a motel. It had a pd town there & my husband said "We've got to do something to save those animals." As a result, we started the most rewarding work either of us has ever done. It would be a shame if we couldn't continue, because we weren't able to discuss the subject. It is incredibly difficult to find places to take these animals, especially here in cattle country. Please let me know what is or isn't allowed. Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

We'll allow the posts, but please do not posts specifics. Save that for email or PM, both for general safety of posting addresses and such on the internet as well as preventing liability for the forum owners.

Stephanie

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Playful Pup

posts RE new homes for PD's

I am assuming that this is no longer the case, as the ban has been lifted?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
I am allergic to maths

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1264 View Post
I am assuming that this is no longer the case, as the ban has been lifted?
yup
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Playful Pup

The ban was rescinded in September 2008 and it is now legal to transport, barter, sell, exchange, and relocate prairie dogs without a permit from the FDA. However, they are not legal to own as pets in all states and exotic pet laws change from year to year.

If you need help with determining is prairie dogs are legal to own or acquire within your state, please feel free to contact me privately.

Tags
pet owner, prairie dog, prairie dogs, veterinary care