Prairie Dog biting :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Prairie Dog biting :(

I have a male prairie dog that we got about a year ago. At first he was super loveable and friendly. About 6 months ago, he became territorial and only liked the 4 of us in our immediate household. He has always gone to me with no problem. Last weekend I stuck my hand in the cage to get his food dish and he bit my hand pretty hard. I have been shaken up since and sort of avoiding him. I want to keep interacting with him but I am affraid of getting bitten again. Any thoughts or ideas?? Please help!! My husband wants to get rid of him but I would hate for that to happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is he neutered?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

no he is not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That might explain it. Google something like "neutering prairie dogs". They make MUCH better pets when neutered.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks, I actually made an appt for 2 wks from now, any other reason you think he is acting like that? Do you have one?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey731 View Post
thanks, I actually made an appt for 2 wks from now, any other reason you think he is acting like that? Do you have one?
No, I don't have one, that's why I didn't want to give more specific advice. But from my limited experience with them, they really need to be fixed to make good pets.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me can chime in .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well thanks for the advice, hopefully he will be back to himself 2 wks from now after he is fixed
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey731 View Post
Well thanks for the advice, hopefully he will be back to himself 2 wks from now after he is fixed
I hope so too! I know it's supposed to be done when they're younger but I hope it still makes a difference . I think Ravnos has experience with prairie dogs so maybe he'll post here too.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Herp Nerd

In the fall/winter, mature males will often experience rut - which can basically make them seem like they've gone psychotic. Every prairie dog is different, some get worse than others, some years can be worse than others, and even the length of time it lasts can vary widely - sometimes for months. Neutering can mitigate a lot of the effects of rut. Personally, my two males are not neutered. I just leave them to their own devices when they don't want to be dealt with.

The problem with this, is that they are remarkably smart, and have good memories. Once they learn that biting gets you to go away, they can keep doing it any time they want to be left alone. Or get defensive, because of how you may have reacted previously. If you try to punish them, they remember, and will often act out with the bad behavior just to get your attention. It can make avoiding undesirable behavior very difficult.

As for suggestions, I think neutering may help, but I wouldn't expect it to be a complete solution. Try to baby him when he's recovering. Find some treats he likes. Be patient, let him come to you. If he acts up, put him immediately away, leave him alone for a while, and try again at another time. The hope is that he'll eventually get the point, that if he bites or misbehaves, he'll get put away and ignored. If he wants attention or treats, he has to be good.

If handling is completely impossible, I'd suggest a nice pair of thick leather welding gloves. I keep them on hand for dealing with difficult animals, from unruly rodents to monitor lizards. You can get a pair pretty cheap at any hardware store.

I also keep UV lighting on my prairie dogs. I honestly don't know if it helps, but they seem to appreciate it, and are more active when the lights are on, as opposed to days I forget to flip the switch. I haven't had any real serious problems with rut.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Playful Pup

You are more than welcome to call for help with this because there are several things you can do and things in your home acting as triggers to promote this behavior during rut season. You can find my information on my profile and I'm happy to help you.

Neutering will help, but there is a lot to this, having a better understanding of it will be helpful to you post neuter as well.

Gena

Tags
prairie dog