This Prairie Dog Discussion Board is Killing Me!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

This Prairie Dog Discussion Board is Killing Me!!!

Since no one really knows me I would just like to point out that I'm the most stubborn and persistent person on the planet. Once I set my mind on something it's rare that I don't find some way to get it. (Within limits of course). That's how I got my first prairie dog. My folks were not open to the idea at all and I spent months doing research, making info packets and highlighting the wonderful things about PD's and leaving it lying conveniently around this house. I ended up getting Daisy and everything was great!! My parents now tell everyone that she was the best pet I've EVER had. She was 5 when she died in my arms from a terrible respiratory infection and I've missed her ever-since.

I found this site trying to find out where/if I could purchase a prairie dog. I'm so happy for all the wonderful people on here that can appreciate their loving personalities and amazing little characteristics, but I'm super depressed that I can't have my own little PD. All the wonderful photo's and stories on here are just a little bit bitter/sweet. Is anyone else feeling my pain?? I'm so jealous and a little bit angry when I hear stories of people getting rid of their PD b/c they just don't want to take care of it anymore. I feel like one of those people that can't have kids and they can't even adopt b/c there's a ban on children b/c of some bogus MPV scare!! This sucks!!!!!!

Brandi Jo
Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals.

MOMMY TO
Boston Terrier: Kayjun
Husky Mix: Lois
Deformed Feline: Elliot
Sugar Glider: Petri
Ground Squirrel: Maggie
Musk Turtle: Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm feeling your pain....I currently have 2 pd's that are 5 years old now...so they're almost considered middle aged in the pd world. I hope the ban gets lifted because once these 2 pass over the rainbow bridge (hopefully not for another 5-6 years) I would like to have more pd's in my life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I feel your pain, too. I had wanted one and now regret not getting one before the ban. Our petstore sells two different kinds of prairie dog pellets and it depresses me .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I was in S&S Exotics over the weekend and they had a prairie dog that wasn't for sale. It amazes me how emotional I get when I see prairie dogs. I feel like some weirdo, but I can't help it, they just pull at my heart strings. I know women that will joke about their ovaries hurting when they see cute little babies. Well my heart hurts when I see cute little PD's!

Brandi Jo
Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals.

MOMMY TO
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

I feel your pain as well. We just lost one of our babies a few days ago. Norman was my special little guy, because he was the first baby I ever caught. I will never forget how happy I was when I caught him. I was on cloud 9.
I named him Norman because the first time I heard him, he sounded just like the music from the shower scene in the movie Psycho .
He was the one who got the others started, when we would come in the door, & the last to stop. He would go on & on. I miss his greetings Norman always had nightmares, where he would chirp until we went over & woke him up. My husband would always tease me that he was dreaming of someone catching his leg with a string, because that's how I caught him.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Awww! I'm sorry for you loss, he sounds precious. The name Norman is hilarious, I can actually picture him! There is just something about a prairie dog's little spirit that infiltrates your family and home. They become a bona fide member of the family. Daisy used to have those little nightmare things where they chirp, but they weren't very often. I wonder what they really are dreaming about?!?!

Brandi Jo

MOMMY TO
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:08 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Oh Deana, so sorry to hear of your loss. I understand that pain terribly!! We lost Nibs about a year ago to odentoma and one of my other little girls is showing symptoms of nasal congestion now. We have been back and forth to the vet the last few months. She's off antibiotics now and I'm using triaminic as needed only at night but she seems to be doing pretty good at the moment. Keeping her comfortable and hoping it doesnt take her anytime soon. I have one male left "TT". Got his name from my son as he was a rescue from animal control brought to us. They found him wondering around in Port Orange and he was pretty beat up. Fur on his head looked like a little Mohawk LOL so we called him Mr. T but now he has all his fur back he's TT lol. All mine have been rescues and once here they never leave my home as it becomes thiers forever. There is nothing like being owned by a PD.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thanks everyone for the condolencences. I appreciate your kindness. Oh why do prairie dogs have such a short life span? It seems they are only here for a moment, but death never ends. We still miss Beefcake just like he died yesterday & it's been almost 5 years, since we had to have him put to sleep.
Beefcake was a holy terror at times. None of us (my husband, my son, or myself) were allowed to hold & love him like we wanted to. He was horrible to both of them, every winter. He acted like a Tazmanian devil when either of them walked into the room, & anyone who dared to try to pet him, was subject to drawing back a bloody nub. No matter how ugly he got, no matter how hard he tried to keep us at a distance, we all still loved him dearly. How messed up are we? I have loved some pretty unlovable people in my life also.
I have heard of odentoma, but I have forgotten what I read. Do they know what causes it, & is there any way to prevent it? We have been lucky so far, & haven't had to deal with it, personally. I hope yor baby pulls through. I can't imagine life without prairie dogs. You are absolutely right about being owned by them. I have had lots of pets, but rarely have I felt as adored as I do by my pds. I think what makes them so special, is the fact that once you do win them over, you have a friend for life. Pds. absolutely worship the ground you walk on.
I will keep you in my thoughts, & prayers.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 10:16 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Fortunately mine love to be held and cuddled. My male isnt neutered but (knock on wood) hasnt shown any signs of rut or at least the biting aspect of it. We see him stiffen up and his tail tends to flare abit so we know not to stick our hands in there lol. So far I have yet to bitten by any of my PD's. I had Nibs for 3 years (not altered), Aimee is a rescue I have had 1 year this month (spayed), and TT I have had for 2 years now as a rescue. I know for fact Aimee is about 6 years but not a clue to TT's age. I have a feeling he isnt more than 3 at the most. My favorite time is when I'm in the kitchen doing dishes and he comes out jumping at my legs "pick me up mom, pick me up" and the yahoos everytime I walk in the front door from them both (music to my ears). There is nothing like hearing the Yahoo's in succession like a little chorus going on. Couldnt imagine this house without it. Odentoma is a tumorous growth although non cancerous in or around the sinus cavity that eventually blocks it off. There is really nothing to prevent it and we have no real knowledge of causes. http://www.prairiedoglover.com/index.htm has alot of info on odentoma along with some imaging. Some say coral calcium helps but my vet doesnt agree and feels it causes renal stones and can lead to renal failure eventually if given too much. I never could put them through the surgery for it either as it would be more for my benefit than my babies. My little gal let me know when it was time and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I dread when the time comes to say goodbye to either my of remaining 2.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

My heart just breaks hearing about these losses. I'm in fear daily with mine since they are getting up there. My Timon is 9yrs and totally blind and my others are over the age of 5 except one who is 2 and I worry all the time. I know pd's are not legal to transport, but people are giving the up all the time and homes are needed. Always keep hoping and talking with rescuers.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:14 AM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

It's so sad to read these losses. Dallas, Houston & Peanut are now 6 years old, they are even more affectionate than ever. I honestly can't understand why the CDC has not removed the ban on prairie dogs by now. They know they were just an innocent carrier.

I also see RGS on here. We got Ranger & Scouties flown up from S & S almost 2 years ago as pups. Sadly I had bought them a hay rope tunnel to chew and play in. Somehow it strangled Ranger. It was horrible! Scoutie is now alone, and he was petrified of me for a few weeks. Now being alone, he's come out of his shell, hops in my hands for kisses, and has become a total begger. He's getting a lot more like George every day. He was my first RGS.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think they do not lift the ban because is easier to say no than put a preventative system in place.

Dallas- how would you compare pd's to richardson's? I've been told rgs are not as affectionate as pd's and have the attitude of a cat (independent and only likes to be touched if it's their idea). What do you think? Thanks

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Mine is taming down wonderfully! She is very similar to my PD just jumpier. She's not as cuddly and wants to explore more but she's still a pup and I think they slow down with age. I'd love to get other's opinions on this as well since I'm new to the RGS. Nothing will replace a PD but it's the closest thing I could get...

Brandi Jo

MOMMY TO
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

To me the only similarity is the look? This is my third RGS - and I love them a lot.

But - they just want to run and play - they are not like the pds who would like nothing better than to be hugged and kissed all day. Scoutie is affectionate - since his brother died. He will run to the door and beg, he will even sometimes jump in my lap. But then it's off the play. They are just more hyper?

I love them all - but I knew what my RGS would be like when I got them. George my first was actually one of the first anywhere.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah, I agree. I had been looking high and low for a PD and the guy at the pet store told me not to expect Maggie to be anything like my PD. Luckily that's what my outlook has been and I haven't been disappointed. They are definently more hyper. Does is slow down with age like I've heard??

Still want a PD though. I refuse to give up on that!

Brandi Jo

MOMMY TO

Tags
animal control, pet store, prairie dog, prairie dogs, respiratory infection