Prairie dog and fruits veggies help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Prairie dog and fruits veggies help

Im a new PD owner. I'm trying to find what fruits/veggies are good and bad for them. What type of food should I be feeding her ( I was given basically hamster food and timothy hay from here I bought her at)What I can keep in the cage and what should be only occasional snacks. She seems to LOVE carrots Good or bad with those? Any help will be appreciated.

Also, I just got her 2 days ago. Should I be holding her as much as I can? Or give her some time to get used to her new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Newborn Pup

Hello!! Congratulations for your new PD. You will love her.
Vegetables:lettuce, all kinds of. Please, clean them very good coz there have been cases on rabbits that they get intoxicated due to the products they use in the farms. Also cucumber, green pepper, carrots.
No potatoes or similar are allowed.
Fruits: Melon, watermelon, pear and a bit of banana. Not too much banana because it is so sweet from them, too much sugar. Fruits with a bone in them are not allowed as peach. Orange or mandarine, neither. Peanuts, pipes, nuts can be provided ocassionaly as a gift. Not daily because turn them fat.
If you have any doubt about any other food, please let me know.

Now, I recomend you to spend time with her but not force her to stay with you. The best thing is that when she is alone playing you sit close to her and you let her get into you, smell you, etc. It is very important she starts feeling confortable with you slowly.

Regards

Peanuts,
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey, thanks!! Yea I got most of the fruits figured out.. Did have a concern though. Other day I have her a piece of prickly pear cacti, few hours later she had the runs, and was acting REALLY weird.. Any thoughts? She ate some watermelon the friday night, and again the runs. Is it from the fruits/cacti? or something else? I only gave her each one time. (testing to see what shes likes and doesnt like) Uhmm. We get along GREAT!!! She's a lil nippy, but i think shes trying to get me to play with her. When I get home from work she'll hear me get home wakes RIGHT up and wants outta her cage, I let her out and she runs RIGHT tomy chair and sits n waits for me to sit down!! Then she crawls up my arm and hangs on my shoulder!! She's the cutest thing, but the nipping/biting is starting to be a concern but i know shes still a baby. Also, How can i get her to dig? lol. she likes trying to dig on my bed, and in my blankets but wont dig in her sandbox that i made for her any hints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Newborn Pup

Hi. Sorry for not having answeres before. Dont try with fruits or vegetables are not recommended because some of them are toxic. Regarding digging I have for them a cage with sand and another one with all clothes they can use for bitting and digging.
Happy to hear you are doing great with her.

Regards
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Really only fruit I give her is watermelon, and that's RARE.. But im thinking about stopping. the days I gave her piece of prickly pear cactus, she was acting REALLY weird, had bad diarrhea, and when I gave her watermelon she got the runs. IDK what else really to give her, she doesn't drink much water any ideas? and She HATES the sandbox I made for her doesnt want to dig in it at all.. But will dig on my bed,or on the carpet and ideas?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 AM

This is the diet reccommended by a veterinarian:
The prairie dog’s natural diet is mostly grasses. In captivity the diet should consist mostly of grass hay such as timothy hay (not alfalfa), and commercial prairie dog pellets. If a prairie dog diet isn’t available you may substitute a pelleted guinea pig diet, or a low calcium rabbit pellet such as Oxbox Bunny Basics-T or Kaytee Exact. The hay is fed free choice always; the pellets should be rationed at ¼ to 1/3 cup per pet daily to minimize obesity. Avoid mixes which contain seeds & nuts, dried fruits, etc. as these may cause obesity or bowel upsets. Fresh vegetables, mostly leafy greens, may be added to the diet (up to 10%-15% of the total food intake daily). Minimize vegies in the cabbage family as they may cause digestive upsets. Restrict feeding of sweet items (fruit, corn, baby carrots, tomatoes, etc) and high protein items (seeds, oats, alfalfa, etc) as these may cause bowel upsets also. Provide fresh water always; a rodent water bottle is cleaner than a bowl and can’t be spilled. Clean the water bottle every 1-2 days.

As for the digging, the reason she may not like her sand box is because she can "dig" but not "burrow". In the wild they dig extensive tunnels. I had a 55 gallon fish tank filled with dirt and my 2 LOVED it!! I got a little scared at first when they would disappear and I couldn't see any movement. I was afraid the dirt had them trapped, but that was never the case and after I dug them out a few times I finally left them alone to dig and tunnel to their little hearts content! Lol...It wouldn't have to be that big as long as it is deep enough for her to dig tunnels in and you could probably use a plastic tub or something. Good luck. I absolutely LOVE prarie dogs!!

The digging and burrowing is also great exercise for them and will help with the weight control! =0}
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hmm.. ill have to go get dirt, did you just buy dirt at the store? or get it from backyard? yea i have a pretty good size plastic container (its one of the storage ones) so il have to look into that. Thank you for all the help! Anyway you could PM me your email so I could contact you directly?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Newborn Pup

It is true that seeds and dry fruits make them fat. However, as a gift sometimes I totally recommend it. Even more if your animal has just arrived home or if has done something really good.

Regarding Sandbox.. I have one with some not too much. Can dig but not make big galleries. Some PD love them and some dont. Just a few. One of mine spend a lot of time in, but one of the girls is... No thanks! I am not going to get dirty, see my nails!!! hahahahaha

Also running wheels are great for them, they love it. Wheels have to be special for them, size and material but is worth it to have one.

Regards
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Newborn Pup

Two "safe" foods that mine enjoy are sweet potatoes and carrots. I buy the organic varieties, then wash, peel, and slice them.

Tags
food, prairie dog