Prairie dog Odontoma - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Playful Pup

joey

http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UAnMQ42.../1_1Wagner.pdf
This is a link. Hopefully this will help. I sure hope you can open it. I sent it to myself and it worked. Couldn't seem to copy n paste. But what this is a file about Odemtoma and ect. Developed by very experienced PD owners and the Vets.
joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 03:25 PM
SwC

Joey could you check the link please as I'm unable to find. Gives an Can not be found message instead.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Any updates for us Joanne? I hope everything is ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 PM

Smile Update on Mamoo

Hi and thanks for all the well wishes ! Forever grateful to Gena for all the concern and advice and for generally being one of the sweetest people !
Mamoo had her surgery for odontoma, and had a very difficult two weeks . I took her home after a week because she had started to eat on her own at the vet. Once she got home, however, she was very lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink, let alone want the medicine I had to give her through a syringe. Got her through the night with help from Gena ( thank you thank you thank you) and brought her back the next day.....they kept her for another whole week, to make sure she was okay. She gave them a hard time too at first, but got better each day, and got the medicine and food she needed. She is now home again, and behaving like her normal self, with only a slight case of the snuffles still, but eating! and active, and more cuddly than ever. Dr. Kelleher at the Broward Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic and her staff deserve a VERY BIG REWARD, and my gratitude forever.

If anyone wants more info on what Mamoo had done, I'd be happy to answer [email protected]

Thanks again, Gena!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Talking

Congrats! I'm so happy for you and Mamoo.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

That's great news! Thanks for the update!

Rhonda

post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:43 PM
SwC

I would be very grateful to any info that you may have regarding the "Big O" as I recently lost my best baby gal to what I have no doubt was just this. I am originally from the Broward county area and now reside in central florida. My vet (very experienced with pd's, and could do surgery to re-route the sinus cavity) felt surgery would be more for "my benefit" then for my little gal and that it would only prolong life for a short time compared to the pain and discomfort PD's would have to endure post-operatively. He was extremely thorough in his explanations ( I am also an open heart surgical RN) to explain what my gal would have to endure in the long run to only prolong life for maybe a few months to a year. I have 2 other little ones here now and thank god they have no signs of the big O. My gal had it from what we know now when she blessed us with her arrival as it was very quick with her diagnosis and loss. Within a period of 4 months of initial respiratory symptoms. Also Joey, lol the little ... in your link is what is messing up the rest of us finding it..........please copy and paste from the "direct Link". You may have to fill in to complete........internet likes to shorten things also so many times it doesnt give the complete link.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:52 AM
Adolescent Pup

Are you thinking of a shunt? What Joanne's pd had done was an extraction which is not even close to being as cruel as a shunt or blow hole. I would recommend should you ever come across that situation again you contact Gena, as she has so much more experience with this kind of thing than anyone I know in the pd community.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:40 AM
SwC

Yes it was a shunt but he felt it would be done more for our benefit then hers. He doesnt recommend it due to the amount of pain and care usually required afterwards therefore we didnt do it. She had lost her top front teeth on thier own during the time of her diagnosis. After 3-4 months of very little improvement we elected to send her over the rainbow bridge as her comfort was more important.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

I feel the extraction surgery is not so much for "our" benefit as the shunt would be. With the shunt they can live for years in pain, but the extraction is not the same thing. Yes, they will be in pain and recovery takes time, but the end result is permanent and well worth it. Prairie dogs go through pain with any type of surgery, but if the animal is young and in otherwise good health it can be a good option for some. Odentoma surgery is very controversial, but an extremely personal decision and every owner facing this should know all the options.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

Tags
animal hospital, chinese water dragon, dandelion greens, dog food, dried corn, emergency vet, oat hay, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, prairie dog, prairie dogs, rabbit food, respiratory infection, shredded wheat, timothy hay, upper respiratory infection