Prairie Dog Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Prairie Dog Questions

Unfortunately, this forum does not seem to be as popular as the others... which is sad considering how sweet Prairie Dogs are. Anyways,

I've been doing some research and not much seems to be known about prairie dogs (In comparison to other "exotics"). So, it seemed inevitable that I post here asking some questions:

1. what is the best way of obtaining a prairie dog (Health, temperment wise etc.)

2. what is the most common way to recieve a prairie dog? (I've heard some people get them from the wild. Is there a difference in adults taken from the wild and infants or adolescents?)

3. How in the world do you tame them? I was thinking food since food is a great motivater in almost every animal but maybe I'm wrong...

4. What to feed. There are many diets but the one i've heard the most often is just special hay. Is just hay (With a few treats now and then) healthy and okay for them?

aaaaand, that's all I can think of right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 09:56 AM
SwC

Hi, I have 2 PD's now as I lost my 3rd to Odentoma about a year ago. I still miss her to this day. Mine are named Aimee and TT (one female and one male). I have owned a lot of pets but this is the first time I have really am the one "being owned" so to speak LOL. I swear they adopted me instead. Mine sleep with us at night and have thier pick of who's bed to take turns in. One prefers mine and the other jumps between mine and my son through the night. I also visit another forum http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LUV-R-PDS/ which is very very active and the other is http://www.prairiedoglover.com/index.htm
The second has a wealth of information. The first I love the interaction on as it always has something new daily.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Unfortunately there will probably be alot less popularity on prairie dogs in the future, due to the ban.
I don't know what the pd. breeders are doing with captive born babies since the Monkey Pox ban. I believe wild babies can make just as good a pet as captive born ones, if caught early enough. Babies don't emerge from the burrow till they are 6 weeks old. They tame very easily, especially if you bottle- feed (just for bonding purposes). As with many animals, they all have their own personalities, & some are easier to tame than others. Even the most stand-off-ish ones can eventually learn to love human companions. I do believe however that there are some out there who just don't want to be held, especially un-neutered males.
Wild caught babies are usually healthy, but if you are not sure, you may want to take them to a vet, just to be checked out. I have caught, & kept several wild babies, all but one of them have made delightful companions.
You do not want to try to take an adult from the wild in hopes of turning it into a pet! It ain't gonna happen.
You have already done one thing that impresses me. That is doing your homework. That is absolutely necessary before getting a pd. Trust me,even pet shops will give bad advice. Our first pd., I bought. I asked what to feed, & how much. Due to this bad advice, Beefcake developed heart disease. I gotta run now, but will add more later.Deana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you everyone! You guys are a wealth of information compared to the sites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 PM

I'm back. Beefcake had to be on heart medication for the last 2-3 years of his life. Yes food is a very useful thing, for winning a prairie dog's heart, but you have to be careful what you use to tempt their tummies. Like I said earlier, I bottle-fed all the babies we kept, just for "bonding". There is a prairie dog food on the market. I get ours from Brisky Pet Products. We also feed them plenty of fresh grass, & hay (for food & bedding). Some treats are ok. Most of them love sweet potatoes, apples, melons, just don't give them alot of leafy vegtables, or brocolli.
It is a shame that all people, who would like to keep pds. are being denied this simple pleasure in the future. On the other hand, the ban has probably saved some of these precious animals from a life of obesity, heart disease, etc. Every pet owner should take the time to learn about their animal of choice, in depth, before getting one. I commend you for that.
If you have any more questions, or want to discuss pds. more, I'm always willing to talk about my favorite subject. Deana

Tags
dog food, neutered male, pet owner, pet shop, pet shops, prairie dog, prairie dogs