Is a Prairie Dog right for you? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Is a Prairie Dog right for you?

Over the past few years prairie dogs have become more popular as pets. But, before you run out and get one of these cute little critters, please do a little homework first. Listed below is only a summary and further research is advised as their diet and care will have a major impact on their comfort and longevity.

Click for the article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 03:16 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

Very well written!

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

Good advise! I wish I had known more about them before I got my first pd. His quality of life never was what it should have been had we gotten good advise. The pet shop owner told me the wrong things & the wrong way of feeding him, which resulted in obesity, & heart disease. I also didn't know not to give him a rag to sleep with, which resulted in respiratory pneumonia. He was only 5 years old when we had to have him put to sleep. I feel extremely guilty about not being able to hold & love him like I wanted to. Fortunately, we've come along way since then. The internet is a wonderful tool, which I didn't have access to before. You can't find info. on pds. in our town, unless it's about killing them. One good thing did came out of loosing Beefcake though , we started relocating wild pds. from places where they are not welcome( around here that's alot) to places where they are( few & far between). We hope the FDA/CDC continues to grant requests for permits, & that we can find enough places to take them to. We absolutely adore these creatures. Deana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

I got the book " how to bring a prairie dog pup into your house" such a good book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fidget the Prairie Dog
Precious the Guinea Pig....rip 10/27/07
Ziggy the Dog
75 gallon aquarium

Lucinda, Nice to meet ya
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiedog68 View Post
I got the book " how to bring a prairie dog pup into your house" such a good book.
Thats weird cuz I was actually thinking of putting up post asking if there were any good book out about taking PDs as pets on the market lol so you just saved me a lot of effort with that. But really I think its important for any one looking to get a new pet to research it before hand. I get so many shocked looks from people when they see me reading up on a certain kind of pet before I get it but it just makes so much sense to do so.

Tags
pet shop, prairie dog, prairie dogs