Prairie Dogs... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Prairie Dogs...

I only found out these guys can be pets! Funny...but I never known that.Who owns them and how are they as pets??

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

They are awesome little animals! Selling/buying PD's is banned now due to the Monkey Pox outbreak a few years ago. People who are ready had them can keep them, but it is illegal to buy, sell, and transport them now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Playful Pup

pds

Vanilla rat,

I have had Pd's for many years. They are awesome as a pets. Can be trainable like a dog in some cases. Very loving animals. One of the lights of my life. But you get around the wrong one and can be your worst enemy. They get very attatched to their parents and at times do not do well with outsiders. Depends on the animal. How they are raised.
There is a great websites that you can join that has the best infomation you can find. These people collectively are the most knowledgable out there on PD's. You will have to be approved by the mediators of the website.
www.luv-r-pds.com
Good luck and hope you enjoy the website.
joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks alot, I will check out that site...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Newborn Pup

hey that website doesnt work??? Can u help me i have 2 pds
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

This is one of the most informative sites on the net and Diane is very knowledgable. http://www.prairiedoglover.com/ If you run into an emergency she is more than happy to get on the phone with you, anything to help out. Also here are 2 other sites that are very helpful and very popular with PD owners.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LUV-R-PDS/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prairie-dog/

The first site has lots of information regarding housing, diet, illness, etc. If you are a new owner then it's the best one to educate yourself on. On occasion Gena Seaberg reviews this site also and will make post. She's the Expert!! You can feel free to email me and I'll give you my number if you need immediate help also as the local HS and rehabbers usually refer animal control to me for PD rescue in this area. I have had my share of these loveable little ones and believe me once you get hooked your hooked!!! I couldnt imagine our lives without them in my house now and I've had alot of other pets but you dont know love from an animal till you have been loved by a PD! [email protected]

Last edited by SwC; 06-01-2006 at 10:18 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

I agree wholeheartedly that Gena Seaberg is the expert on prairie dogs! There are a lot of people like myself who have had pd's for yrs, and are more than happy to share their experiences to help someone in need, but the HUGE difference between Gena and everyone else is not only does she have experience from owning pd's she has the education the back it up. She's had yrs of schooling tailor made for the care of prairie dogs, and that's something the rest do not have. She's the most busy person I know which is why she does not post online much, but she is the Best!. There's lots of pd people who have time to spend online, and you may see them a lot, but that does not mean they are an expert simply because they claim to be and bark it louder than others. I have permission to post her personal information on this forum. Gena's available anytime for emergencies that may arrive so keep her info handy because you never know. I also would like to add she's excellent talking with vets so much so mine won't take advice form zealous owners, but he will her. I'm all for anyone getting good advice, and I don't care who from, but sometimes just having prairie dogs isn't enough. Anyway, should you need advice, have an emergency, or need information on adoption or placement please contact her.

Gena Seaberg

Consultant for Prairie Dog Care Domestically and Abroad Since 1995

2023 Adams Avenue

Everett, WA 98203

425.265.0818 office

425.870.1729 cell

[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwC
This is one of the most informative sites on the net and Diane is very knowledgable. http://www.prairiedoglover.com/ If you run into an emergency she is more than happy to get on the phone with you, anything to help out. Also here are 2 other sites that are very helpful and very popular with PD owners.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LUV-R-PDS/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prairie-dog/

The first site has lots of information regarding housing, diet, illness, etc. If you are a new owner then it's the best one to educate yourself on. On occasion Gena Seaberg reviews this site also and will make post. She's the Expert!! You can feel free to email me and I'll give you my number if you need immediate help also as the local HS and rehabbers usually refer animal control to me for PD rescue in this area. I have had my share of these loveable little ones and believe me once you get hooked your hooked!!! I couldnt imagine our lives without them in my house now and I've had alot of other pets but you dont know love from an animal till you have been loved by a PD! [email protected]

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 07:28 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I by no means am an expert in praire dog care nor claim to be. But PDjenn is correct there are lot of sites out there that believe they are, therefore you do need to be careful and also use common sense. The sites I gave you has the most information for you than most other online but I keep Gena's info handy for any emergencies. When my first little one was very ill with odentoma it was Gena's advice I sought over any others. I didnt post her info as I dont have that permission. Gena I believe was last working on her PhD. If you drop her and email to ask for additional info I'm sure she'll respond and you can bet it will be the correct info. Primarily educate yourself on the proper nutrition and thier safety! Most people's primary mistake when first getting PD's usually relate to nutrition. Dont listen to the pet stores hype or even some of the things you read in the forums but find out what is appropriate and what is not as it can make the most important difference in your PD's health. Myself I only use Oxbox products for my babies and strickly stick to organic veggies as treats. Definitely find a good PD vet as there are several in florida and if you are near central florida I know 2 very experienced vets that treat PD's. It took a lot of searching and patience as some vets will say yes they do but you find out down the road they really dont have the amount of PD education/experience most owners would prefer. Lol me I asked for a list of thier PD patients to contact thier owners for references.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Adolescent Pup

Swc I hope my post did not come across as implying anything? If so I am so sorry and never intended that. Your reply had great tools for a new owner, something I wish I had with my first (lol). My intent was to add Gena's info so those who need her help can get in touch with her right away. I also had that anyone online can be an expert, and to take advice with caution. There are so many awesome owners,and good hearted people out there happy to help educate others, and when it comes to basic care I feel most owners agree. But with health problems it very different. I know some are comfortable giving advice in critical situations and because something may have worked for one does not mean it's right for another and pd's have and can die. I just feel with any health problem you need to get advice from someone who gets all the facts, consults with vets, and gives advice on a case to case basis and I feel that's Gena. Please know that I'm not ever implying you in my posts. Hun, I don't even know who you are, but I think because I'm being vague I may be coming off wrong. I guess I'm trying to point out that with every large group of people there are politics and toes that don't like being stepped on. So learn from everyone, research all sides of controversial issues, and over time you can make the best choices for you and your prairie dog. Please know I never meant for my reply to seem as if it was to you, and I apologize it came off that way. I only wanted to say how I felt without being specific and hurting any feelings.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 01:33 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

No no dont worry about that at all. I whole heartedly agree with you as when my first little one became ill everybody and thier brother was giving advice and I found most of it wasnt the proper advice for my little gal. Fortunately I did get info relayed by Gena and also managed to locate a phenomenal vet with great experience with PD's luckily about 3 miles from my home at that! He was the second vet in the long search. The first claimed to be experienced and I was not happy with the outcome. Mine didnt show the typical symptoms of odentoma and in fact it didnt show till she was too ill to help and I of course felt in her best interest to let her go. She was just 3y/o and way to young to go. I always get concerned with very new pd owners as I find initially nutrition to be the biggest error along with safety. When it comes to illness I have learned to find the professionals who are educated and experienced to care for an ill pd. The sites I posted are excellent sources although there are things I also disagree with due to exactly what you said "every pd is different". I think new owners with no experience initially dont have a clue what responsibility they have just taken on. Owning a pd takes preparation even before you ever get these precious ones into your homes such as finding an appropriate vet, how available are the supplies and dietary needs locally, etc. Many owners do this well after they accept a new pd into the home. I get so mad sometimes to see how novelty some people think pd's are then how readily they are put aside once the "new"ness wears off. This is how I have ended up with all mine. Thing is once I get them in as rescues I never have the heart to find them another home, I become thier new Mom lol. So no I didnt take offense

Last edited by SwC; 06-03-2006 at 01:35 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Part of the Pack

My uncle has a pd, and it was so tame it'd run up for belly skratches! He says he would have let it have the run of the house, but he has so many cats, it wouldn't be safe.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:16 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Lol, yep they LOVE bellie rubs!! Mine also have bonded well enough with us that I get the little "kisses" they give each other as a greeting which shows a great deal of trust between the PD and human interaction. And to hear thier little "yahoo's" in unison with each other when they are happy is just a treasure. I think every owner can remember the first time thier PD did the traditional Yahoo almost like your child saying his or her first words. Believe me these little guys easily become your adopted children very quickly.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Newborn Pup

Well see i am having a problem my one pddog well when i open his cage he goes to dart and to get on the floor and play and he wont let me hold him for nothing! And when he is on the floor he wont let me and my Boyfriend touch him ! I want him to be tame and come to me when i call or something like a whistle or i dunno what can i do? And my other one is just soo scared when i go to touch him he bats my hands away with his... I need help i want them to be tame and lovable!! The are in seperate cages also! HELP PLEASE

~!Alexzandria!~
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

It really takes time to build a trustful bond with them. Do you know what type situation they came from? For the moment you might just want to try scratching thier fur through the wires while they are eating (back side mind you) and talk softly lots and lots to them. When they are out for play time concentrate of giving of thier treats then also. Dont make any attempt to pick them up right away. Be sure thier play area is somewhere they cant get under or behind anything (couch, drawers, beds). When time to return to thier cage if they do give you any grief and they will as (believe me they dont want to go back in) use a thick towel or carpenter/oven mitts but only if they seem abit nippy so as not to frighten them. Sit in the floor with them when they are out and let them come to you. I have some that bonded in maybe 2-3 months and others much longer. The most important thing is lots and lots of patience, attention and baby talk. I finally have mine where they know not to just jump out of the cage but into my hands. They each get a good belly rub and sweet talk individually this way before thier little paws ever hit the floor. At times they even beg to be picked up holding thier little paws up and jumping. Imagine it like a little child, most small children are afraid of total strangers and hide behind mom's legs. This is how they feel at the moment. They are investigating thier new surroundings and adjusting. Allow them to do that first then work on "picking up/holding". Also are they from the same litter of pups? Do they fight? You can try to gradually get them in the same cage. Start allowing them to touch noses, etc through the cage wires. Set cages next to each other. Allow them play time together but monitor closely. This may take alot of time also. Mine still will play and everything but bed time no sharing lol then it's a slap and roll party. The slapping behavior is common when they dont want something. My female slaps the kitten all the time to warn him go away! She use to slap me when I first got her but hasnt in awhile. She came to me last November and just now allows me to pick her up and hold for any length of time. She's the one who would rather be on the floor and running havoc through the house LOL. My male is another story as he wants held all the time!! The links to the PD forums I posted earlier I would suggest registering for them all. Introduce yourself just as you have done here. A few of those are "extremely" active on a daily basis and everyone will be more than happy to give advice on bonding. Just remember every PD and PD parents are different and what works for one may not for another. It just takes a test of time and lots of patience and LOVE most of all. Give them time more than anything and dont rush it. Be prepared for the possiblity of a nip or 2 if they are new and also pups. What ever you do if you should suffer a nip which can be painful dont react loudly or in a punishing manner. They will test you at times just like any toodler would.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:16 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Also what type of diet do you have them on? This is extremely important as it can avoid serious problems in the future and have you found and experienced PD vet yet? If not we can help you locate one in the Fl area. It's best to at least get them for thier first checkup early as pups for them to have a good baseline incase illness should occur. Also be sure to educate yourself on "Odentoma" which is a very serious disease for PD's and you need to be aware of this and it's symptoms as it takes alot of our little ones away too early.

Tags
animal control, dried corn, oat hay, pet store, pet stores, prairie dog, prairie dogs, romaine lettuce, seperate cages, timothy hay