Prairiedog cages - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Prairiedog cages

would anyone know where I could buy a huge prairiedog cage? I live in Canada and would have one shipped from within or the U.S. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am not sure what is a good cage or not, but i found this for ya http://www.exoticnutrition.com/prdogca.html

Could you build a cage? That might be cheaper...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Newborn Pup

I've heard that Martins Cages are really good. I've never used one so I'm not sure on size. I dont know too much im still learning I'm going to be using a one level Critter Nation cage. You could google them to get an idea of what they look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Make sure prairie dogs have room to climb!! For sure...but i really don't know much else :}

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Newborn Pup

idk about the climbing thing. everything ive read says if they fall its almost always fatal. they do need lots of room though so it can have floors as long as the floors are full all the way across the cage. my second level only goes halfway across the cage so im gonna take it out before i put him in it. but im a first time owner who hasnt even brought him home yet so the only thing ive done is read like crazy everything i can find haha
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi and thanks for looking up the cage for me.
I think you have a great idea, to make a cage.. I have 2 really nice large cages with solid floors that are 27" high each, 3' long and 2 ft wide. I am going to take one of the bottoms and cut a square for a ladder, and then stack them. so the cage will be 54" high... the attached picture gives you an idea of what I mean, but they aren't the same cages..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 level.jpg (9.3 KB, 29 views)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekins115 View Post
idk about the climbing thing. everything ive read says if they fall its almost always fatal. they do need lots of room though so it can have floors as long as the floors are full all the way across the cage. my second level only goes halfway across the cage so im gonna take it out before i put him in it. but im a first time owner who hasnt even brought him home yet so the only thing ive done is read like crazy everything i can find haha
I'm sorry wrong spot.... not climbing lots of running room *embarrassed* SORRY!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie_crca View Post
Hi and thanks for looking up the cage for me.
I think you have a great idea, to make a cage.. I have 2 really nice large cages with solid floors that are 27" high each, 3' long and 2 ft wide. I am going to take one of the bottoms and cut a square for a ladder, and then stack them. so the cage will be 54" high... the attached picture gives you an idea of what I mean, but they aren't the same cages..
I saw the idea you had for the cages stacked on top of eachother. I'm not sure if you're planning on using those exact cages or not, but I just wanted to add some input. My prairie dog has learned to open those type of doors. I'm actually in the process of looking for a new cage. The one he is using was actually in a link someone had suggested in the beginning. It was the smaller (and cheaper, if I'm not mistaken) cages in the website that was linked for you. So yeah, steer clear of that kind of cage. It took about 5ish months, but he learned how to open it alright, then we used clips to clamp the door shut, but he learned how to take those off. Now we have locks on the doors. Yeah, he's a booger alright. I know this was an older post, but I thought I'd let you know.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Newborn Pup

I use a 2 story Ferret Nation, Im going to add on another level to make it a 3 story. They sell an add-on cage(level) for it. If they figure those latches out Im going to train them to crack safes. I paid about $200 with shipping.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Kat
Playful Pup

For anyone who is reading on what kind of cages to use - please note that when you have multi level cages (especially the ferret nation cage) and you have more than one level:please add more shelving units. I found mine online (extra shelves). Prairie dogs like to climb and they will climb to the top and they will fall; and it can be very dangerous and even fatal. I think that's what happened to my pd a few years ago. I had the cage two years and nothing ever happened. My pds Caddy and Chloe shared this cage, then one day I came home from work and Chloe was paralyzed from waist down. I took her to the vets immediately, they ran x-rays and said she'd be fine. =no broken bones. The next morning (Sunday) she was bleeding internally, blood coming out of her lower extremities. I took her to the emergency vet, of course they had no idea what to do for a prairie dog. They knew how to charge me alot of money! Two days later (Monday morning) she passed away - she had internal injuries. I'm not trying to be a downer, just want everyone to know how serious it can be if you pick the wrong cage and/or don't make the proper adjustments for a prairie dog. So Please keep this in mind when you are selecting a cage. I know they need room to run and play, just be sure that you place shelves at various locations so that if they do climb and fall it won't be dangerous. I bought two additional shelves for my Two level Ferret Nation so that it's not a big fall from any part of the cage. I also keep lots of padding on the floor board for that reason. Torn t-shirts or the recycled paper bedding they sell at Walmart. Just wanted to pass this along, I would hate to think that I could prevent something horrible like that from happening and didn't.
While I'm talking about some things that I've learned (the hard way) NEVER EVER give your prairie dog anything wood - no matter what kind! I know the internet and even some vets say it's ok - but IT IS NOT! Take my word for it. I have a sick 9 year old pd siting in my lap right now; Years back, he chewed wood, caused an ulcer and it's been an uphill war since. It's been very heart-breaking at times, very costly and it's just not worth it. In fact if anyone wants to know all the 'don'ts' with prairie dogs I will be happy to share what I've learned along the years. When I first got Caddy, no one really knew, so I we were just 'winging' it. Luckily I've had him with me this long and I'm just trying to figure out how I can keep him around longer (getting him healthy of course when I say keep him around longer).
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Newborn Pup

I have a cage for my chinchilla's that I want to try my PD in. I will adapt it for him so he can't fall and get hurt.

I rescued my Bear off of CL from a teenage girl who bought him/her but by the time he arrived she could no longer take him. So I went to the store and picked him/her out. Have no idea of the sex and the store owner was absolutely NO help.
I have looked online and still don't know. Doesn't really matter either because he/she has won our hearts... The personality is unreal.

But I have a couple of questions for someone who knows more. The internet info is TOO confusing.
And very vague!

What should I give him for chew treats if not wood?
I know the hay will take care of the back teeth but what about the front ones?

Also bedding? I get hay from a horse lady and use the coastal as bedding in the bottom of the cage. I have put shavings in (No cedar) but read it wasn't good for him.
Should I use the care fresh instead?

Dirt? They love to burrow so I was thinking of making the bottom of the cage with some dirt for him to play in....is potting soil OK?
I figure that is about as clean dirt as I'm going to find.

Vegetables & fruit again the info is vague and I'm a black & white person.
I give him sweet potato and carrots but he really is only interested in the sweet potato.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
He is happy and healthy but as with all of my critters I want to give him the best I can.
I know it is alot of questions and sounds like I don't know what Im doing but I really do. I just want more specifics.
I have 6 chinchillas and make all of their treats and hammocks and want to do the same for Bear but there just isn't enough info online for me.
And I would rather talk to people who have them and do this everyday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cage.jpg (43.5 KB, 4 views)

Rescue one until there are none

Proud momma of 7 dogs: Patches, Lacey, Lil Bit, Lilly, Sugar, Sebastian & Sammy. .
4 Rabbits: Lola, Greasy, Cookie, Timmy
6 Chinchillas: Pepper, Skitzo, Dakota, Dash, Thumper & Cody
1 Prairie Dog: Bear
1 Cat: Andy
1 Degu: Madeline
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Newborn Pup

I just wanted to tell Rescue Momma that she can determine the sex of her PD easily (even though it really doesn't matter, as it doesn't to any of us PD owners). We all love our PDs no matter what they are. When I bought mine back in August, the pet shop did not tell us what their sex was either (I bought two). I did some research and actually determined their sex myself. And my thought was confirmed by a PD vet. I have a male and a female.

You can pick the PD up and look at their bottom. There is a little "knob" (not sure what else to call it). If that "knob" is right by their bottom, it's a girl. If the knob is up a little further (about an inch up from the PD's bottom-not as far up as their belly...but a little lower), then it's a boy. Just FYI...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Newborn Pup

That sounds really crazy. I know it's not a "knob"..that's the first word that came to mind. LOL It looks like a little button. ha ha
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Newborn Pup

es, the climbing thing is a no no. They do like to climb, but it can be fatal. I have already had that experience, not a good one either. Their depth perception is very poor, even though they think they can climb like monkeys, they don't know any better.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Newborn Pup

Hello, my name is Kat and I am new to the forum. I just found this website after searching for some info on Pdogs. I have a pd and she is just about 10 years old. I have some concerns though lately regarding her health. She has always been very healthy and I have never had any problems with her. I just recently moved from Florida to Minnesota. Only in the past 2 months since winter started has she began not acting like her normal self. She is almost like in hibernation mode, and has lost some weight, not really eating much. This is really concerning me because I'm not sure whats wrong. I don't really know if Pdogs hibernate. She has never done this, only since moving to where the weather changes and the climate is different. Can anyone give me some ideas? Also, is there anyone who knows of a vet in the Twin Cities area? One who deals with exotics, especially pd's. Thanks.

Tags
prairiedog cages