Prarie Dog chewing up stuff! Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Prarie Dog chewing up stuff! Help!

We got Walter, our PD, about 5 weeks ago..he's very energetic and playful..we love him. However, he seems to be chewing on whatever he can find...carpet, curtains, kitchen cabinets, furniture. I cant keep him in a cage all day and he doesnt listen to us when we tell him "NO!"...I want him to be a pet we can enjoy...what experience do any of you have that might be of some help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

It's a rodent, not a dog.
A rodent WILL chew on every thing.
The only thing you can do is to make sure your house is PD safe.

Other than that, you really should get another one. They are very social animals, and they do not thrive alone.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 AM

they will chew anything and everything, that is what they do. I have never tried to prevent it. My prairie dog doesn't like to leave his cage, and if you try to take him out of his room he will freak out! I sit on the floor with him, he will get tired of being out and jump towards his cage when he wants to go back. It is very dangerous to have a pd out in the house not supervising, someone could easily trip and fall on him, step on him, ect. In my previous house, my pd chewed a hole in his cage then the carpet then the wall.

Last edited by snugglypuff; 05-22-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Rodentologist

A prairie dog is not a domesticated animal. It's like bringing a deer into your house and then complaining that they're tearing up the carpet and breaking all your windows!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglypuff View Post
they will chew anything and everything, that is what they do. I have never tried to prevent it. My prairie dog doesn't like to leave his cage, and if you try to take him out of his room he will freak out! I sit on the floor with him, he will get tired of being out and jump towards his cage when he wants to go back. It is very dangerous to have a pd out in the house not supervising, someone could easily trip and fall on him, step on him, ect. In my previous house, my pd chewed a hole in his cage then the carpet then the wall.
Do you own one PD or more?...How long have you had him?...did you have him neutered?...I have more questions that need answering and want someone with experience in raising PD's to help me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Do you have experience in raising PD's?..if so, let me know... I have more questions.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
It's a rodent, not a dog.
A rodent WILL chew on every thing.
The only thing you can do is to make sure your house is PD safe.

Other than that, you really should get another one. They are very social animals, and they do not thrive alone.

Do you have experience in raising PD's?....if so, I have more questions.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM

I have had 2 pd's. the first one I bought from a pet shop when he was very very small. I believe it was in 2000. So that makes my boy 9yo. I had a girl who I got for free from a pet shop down in davie fl probably in 2001 or 2002 within a year she came down with odentoma so I dealt with that for around a year before she passed. Very sad, but if you have any questions you would like to direct to me personally my email address is [email protected] so we don't muck up this thread. I would be more than happy to help as much as possible.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Kat
Playful Pup

I also could help if you need it. I've got three prairie dogs now; I had one pass away two years ago due to an accident (she was 6)- she fell on her back and did something to her internal organs; bleeding internally/vets couldn't do anything for her; she died two days later/ and I had them 'put her to sleep' to be on the safe side b/c I wasn't sure she had actually passed; My oldest is almost 9 years old (sweetest little guy ever) and I have two that are a little over a year. Unfortunately most of us have learned from experiences we've had on what to do and what not to do; and I hope to help and pass on the info that I can to help out anyway I can without the heartbreak. SO when I see these threads and posts about people not having a cage or doing something with their prairie dog that I know is unsafe I can't help but try and 'suggest' help b/c I've been through it before.

Tags
chewing, chewing problems, prarie dog