Rescues for Prairie Dog Pets? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Rescues for Prairie Dog Pets?

I know I can't give or sell my PD but don't they have something available for owners who are no longer able to care for their pets. I mean I don't want her to suffer any longer with not having enough attention, she's soooo adorable and it breaks my heart when she yelps at me from the other room. Isn't there something I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would take her so fast
but i live all the way over here in az
so that is practically imposible
dont give her away unless its from someone here cause most people here would see it has a long life
and if just anyone takes it they might end up uthinizing her.......
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

i just read on here that we're not supposed to talk about pd (fight club lol) here so mums the word oops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

I hope I am not breaking the rules, but I may be able to adopt her, legally. I can probably get a permit from the FDA.
Where are you located? If you want to discuss this further, you can e-mail me @ [email protected], or call me 806-584-7954.
We do prairie dog relocations, & adoptions.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

I can almost guarantee they will not grant you a permit to transport unless it's to a vet and right back home again. I'm not advocating breaking any laws , but if I were you I wouldn't do it. I wish I could say something more positive, but odd's of getting approved for an adopting are a little higher than winning the lottery. It's a sticky situation, but if you follow the rules and request a permit, not only can will it take 3-6 months for a reply, but you're making them aware of where the pd is and where it may be going. Now if you get a big "no" and adopt anyway you're knowing breaking the law and they've got you red handed. The very best advice ever given to me was to BE QUIET! The FDA knows that pd's are being moved from place to place all the time, but they'd rather not know about it officially. It's so hard to get this type of permit that even if you only move to a new home, same owners, in the same city and county they'll still deny it. I had babies is 03 and when the ban hit I had several left, well the FDA contacted me on how many I had, where I got them, where they went, my shoe size, and favorite color . I was almost sure they were going to ask for a DNA sample too ....long story short, I had them for 2yrs and desperately wanted to place them where they would get the attention they deserve so I did things by the book and tried it their way. I had each adopter send in applications stating what pups, how many, where they were going, that they would be pets only, had been vet checked, quarantined for 2yrs, would be transported in a secure crate and would permanently stay at said address. Well, after they knew the whereabouts of these good hearted people and how many dogs they currently had, 3 months later we got their reply which was a big fat "NO"! They stated the pd's were to never leave my home alive and if they did it would only be to have them euthanasied, checked by a vet or donated to rapture rescue as live food (yeah, like that would ever happen! . I tried to do things their way, but it didn't go well for anyone. Now they know too much, who has how many and where they live. The very best thing is to not say anything to anyone! . If they don't know anything then they have no reason to do anything. I'm saying break the law , but ban or no ban people are gonna do what their gonna do. There are no prairie dog cops patrolling the streets and searching cars for dogs and many states could care less. My state does not even know about the ban nor do they care or want to get involved with any exotics. If the shelter here gets a call about a prairie dog they advise the owner to place an ad in the newspaper or seek a local rescue. Since 03 there have been 4 pd's up for sale in our newspaper. The FDA knows people are going to move pd's, but they'd rather not know about it. When it comes to an animal that can change your entire life for the better, there's nothing that could stop that desire especially when it's worth the risk. Prairie dogs are almost like an addiction to drugs. Now even with the "war on drugs" being a high priority, it still doesn't stop people from buying, selling and using. The law enforcement are looking for people transporting drugs, not harmless little ground squirrels. Every year pups are caught instead of being killed, placed in homes all over the US and it will continue for as long as people love prairie dogs. But,if you take anything from this post let it be to "KEEP QUIET" tell no one and lay low! If you need to talk you're to call anytime day or night . God Bless!!!

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have not requested FDA/CDC permit to allow adopting prairie dogs that owners can't care for anymore, but I have asked for & received permits for relocating, & taking one to a nature center for educational purposes.
It is good to know that they aren't allowing adoptions. Thanks for the info.
I did ask if I could adopt some out to nature centers for educational purposes on the chance that during relocation efforts, we run across any that aren't suitable to release in the wild. I was told that I could write & request permission, & they may consider it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

My computer has been down abit but how about a follow up on this one please? Did you find a home? I am in Fl and do PD rescue without difficulty from the law enforcement. In fact all my pd's have been brought to me by animal control. I would be happy to help you out if needed. Also keep in mind the Florida is a very PD friendly so transport is not an issue unless you are selling then you are in for a problem.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

I would also like to know what became of this animal. Do you still have it? Are you still looking for a home? You can e-mail me more privately if you want [email protected].
All of us prairie dog people need to stick together when it comes to shareing info. about our babies. We need to know about each others dealings with FDA/CDC, as well as any other info. that may help the species, such as health problems & treatments.
As closed -minded as most people are on this controversial topic, I fear the day may come when the only pds. left are those in captivity. They must be the most hated creature on the planet, or at least in Texas panhandle. It is such a shame that ignorant people won't take the time to listen, much less get to know these adorable animals. All of us pd. owners know that anyone who does, is hooked forever. It's true that there is no love like the love of a prairie dog! I know my life was never complete, till I found my Snuggle-bug. Pds. are alot like potatoe chips. You can't have just one.
I am so glad that I have several, though none can ever take her place. I just had to have my elderly baby put to sleep last week. She was the light of my life. I don't know who loved who the most, me, or her. She was the most precious little girl. I am totally devasted, over losing her.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Newborn Pup

Does anyone know what happened in this situation? I tried PMing her, but haven't heard back. I also tried IMing PDJenn without any success. I'd really love to help out.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionsof
Does anyone know what happened in this situation? I tried PMing her, but haven't heard back. I also tried IMing PDJenn without any success. I'd really love to help out.

thelionsof I haven't gotten anything from you, but you can e-mail me or call 24/7.

I've also been trying to reach Sugar's owner, but with no reply. She messaged me once and has not replied. I told her finding a home in her state is no problem, but if her only reason for getting rid of her is because she's alone then getting another would be the best option. I've yet to hear anything.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 PM

prairie dog angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieMoon View Post
I know I can't give or sell my PD but don't they have something available for owners who are no longer able to care for their pets. I mean I don't want her to suffer any longer with not having enough attention, she's soooo adorable and it breaks my heart when she yelps at me from the other room. Isn't there something I can do?

I have been wanting to adopt a prairie dog for quite some time, there is a prairie dog that lives in a local pet shop here and she is precious, she will stick her leg out through the cage for me to rub her and sometimes she will put her head up against her cage so i can scratch her little ears. If there is anyone who knows where I could adopt a little angel such as that I would be much obliged. I have a lot of love to give and I would shower her with affection and attention. Also does anyone know if any what shots they require ?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Hello Earthling

Thread from 2007.

You'll get more replies by making a thread

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Playful Pup

I live in florida and would be willing to drive quite a ways to have a companion for my nibbler. he is lonely, but I would never give him up, he's my baby. I had a female with him but unfortunately came down with odentoma, So I have dealt with the worst, and managed to prolong her life a long time after being diagnosed. Not fun, and very expensive. But she ate till the day she passed. This is ridiculous that I have to have 20 posts to post my email. how about my phone number 941-258-2086. thanks

(we miss you petunia)

Last edited by snugglypuff; 03-06-2009 at 10:45 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

This thread is quite old its from 2007

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Playful Pup

yeah, I noticed, but someone else brought it back to life, my little boy is 9 years old and I had him since he was the runt getting picked on at the pet shop. I will always be willing to take in a prairie dog. always.

Tags
animal control, prairie dog, prairie dogs