Richardson's Ground Squirrel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hello!

Several weeks ago, my local exotics store received a healthy litter of Richardson's Ground Squirrels. The store is now down to two, and after a lot of playing/oogling at them these few weeks, my boyfriend and I decided to ask to have them put on hold for us.

I have been trying to do some research on them before we commit to buy, but unfortunately there really isn't a whole lot of information about them as being pets.

Any information anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated! We fell in love with these guys the first day the store got them, and literally spent 2 hours playing with them.

I plan to take them to my avian/exotic vet once we decide to bring them home just to make sure that they are disease free and healthy to be around my parrots.

The setup that they have for them is very nice, and we plan to go with the same type, but larger so that they have some growout room. The setup we'll end up going with is a 20g long tank, with one of those tri-level rodent cage toppers. The tank will be the bedding area, with the other levels being for a wheel, food, water and such.

I've also been reading that you can train them to go in a litter pan? Would this be done the same way it is with a cat?

Thanks again,

Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 PM
What the shell! :)

Squirrels???? I love those little guys...I wish it was by me I would like to have a pet squirrel...I unfortunately dont know what a ground squirrel is...is that a regular brown squirrel? hmmm..maybe I'll research them too. Sorry I'm not any help I was just surprised that you could buy an animal like that...I guess I shouldn't be because they're kind of like all the other rodents...that is cool...do you have a pic you could post?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff & Jerry
Squirrels???? I love those little guys...I wish it was by me I would like to have a pet squirrel...I unfortunately dont know what a ground squirrel is...is that a regular brown squirrel? hmmm..maybe I'll research them too. Sorry I'm not any help I was just surprised that you could buy an animal like that...I guess I shouldn't be because they're kind of like all the other rodents...that is cool...do you have a pic you could post?
Actually, they look similar to prairie dogs .

http://fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.as...6&maxwidth=475

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Part of the Pack

Richardson Ground Squirrel

Richardson's Ground Squirrels Care

I found these links. Hope they help.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I already saw those, but thanks dogslife I was hoping someone on here had some first hand experience with them

Tags
exotic vet, litter pan, prairie dog, prairie dogs