RIP: Nibbler :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

RIP: Nibbler :(

Just put my baby to sleep today. No more pain for my little boy. I wish all of you the best with your prairie dogs. Give them all kisses and hugs for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1921.jpg (78.2 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I am allergic to maths

Awww, RIP nibbler. This made me cry, I am so sorry
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry, RIP Nibbler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Kat
Playful Pup

I am so sorry! I had to do the same thing two years ago and I still think about her everyday. I know it's hard, but you did the right thing. What did they say was wrong with him?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

liver failure.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Kat
Playful Pup

I'm so sorry, if there's anything I can do to help out, please let me know.
If it's too painful to talk about then don't worry about answering these questions, but just so I would have the knowledge on this subject, could you tell me what happened as far as causes and signs? I worry about my older prairie dog Caddy, he's had some issues and I just thought if I could know what signs there were to look for it would help. THanks for sharing this by the way; I know all of us on here know how much these little guys touch our hearts and I hope you can take comfort in knowing that he knew how much you loved him! (I can tell by your posts!)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Playful Pup

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Nibbler

Jana (gr8pots)
Wife to my wonderful husband Richard,
Mom to Nichole, Grandmom to Ashli, Shelly,
Markell & Kayla.
Godmom to Ana & Natalia &
Petmom to: WFB Glaze & Silica,
Syler & Halle our Mountain Feist &
Sushie & Patriot our Bettas.

Custom Cage Liners

Pottery
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

about 2-3 months ago he started getting really picky on what he ate. and with his age I started feeding him stuff that would keep him fat cause he was dropping weight. One point I was going to get the critical care, but he would eat in front of me so I knew he was eating. then...well about 1 month ago he fell from his cage. I beat myself up for this alot. about 3 -4 feet to a tarazo floor. He seemed fine. really mad, but physically fine. then he peed blood. the vet said that since he it was 48 hours after the fall that it wasn't internal bleeding. The blood in urination did go away everything seemed fine. about 2 weeks after the fall, I noticed him lying in his bed flat (the picture above) yeah it seemed odd, normally he would be curled into a little prairie ball surrounded by his bedding. next he was at the bottom level of his cage away from his nest. Just like you read about when an animal is ready to die they leave their home nest and family to do so. I got really worried. Since I went through odentoma with my female I didn't want to see another pd go through so much struggling and pain. He then completely stopped eating, and I heard a strange sound from his room. I couldn't see anything but it smelt very bad. He had thrown up (probably bile by the smell of it) That night I got his favorite (pumpkin pie) and tested to see if he would eat that. no go. so I got a syringe (sorry I am a bad speller) and tried to get some gatoraid into him, he caughed and threw up again. This looked very painful and it really disturbed me. So the next day I started looking for the critical care somewhere close to me. I ended out calling oxbow direct to see if they could tell me someone they had sold it to local to me. The closest place that had it was 1 hr away and only open durring the same times I was supposed to be at work. So I took off work to pick some up. (This kind of makes me mad. I called them to make sure they had it. I wanted to the apple/banana flavor they tell me they have it so I drive all the way there. They make me wait an extended about of time then inform me the vet wont let them open the new bag so I had to take the regular if I wanted it. I could have driven the other way about the same amount of time to get what I wanted. This happend to be the same vet I had taken a sugar glider to 10 years earlier and they tried to take a dremmel to his toe nails. yeah, a real genius.) so I got home and mixed part gatoraid and water with the critical care and went at it. I got him to eat a very small bit, then he realized what was happening first when I squirted it into his mouth he just didn't do anything, didn't move didn't breath. So I wiped it away and then the struggle began. He really didn't want fed, and started crying as if he was in pain. it was so sad. then he didn't want anything to do with me. that really hurt me cause I just wanted to help now he wouldn't even let me pick him up. I think he knew it was his time to go. I love these little guys so much, that I can't go threw loosing one again. It's just to painful. I will be selling my cage, an moving on. at least I had time to say goodbye and give him a nice last hug. I have said all that I know, I must let go and distance myself from the pd site. sorry it's just to hard. good luck with your older boy. give him prairie kisses for me. and enjoy every min with him.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I am allergic to maths

I am in tears. I am so so so SO sorry. Please dont let this stop you loving another animal, im sure there is an animal out there that needs your love just as much as nibbler did. *HUGE HUGS* RIP nibbler, we will miss you!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks for the encouragement, I have 3 dogs, 2 sugar gliders, and about 30 fish. So my love will never go undistributed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yum.jpg (44.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1903.jpg (69.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by snugglypuff; 06-09-2009 at 08:02 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

here's a pic of the doggies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1768.jpg (72.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1904.jpg (73.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by snugglypuff; 06-09-2009 at 08:00 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Kat
Playful Pup

If you happen to check back in here, I wanted to say thank you for letting us know what happened. (and again how very sorry I am! reading that story made me cry too; I'm in the office so I hope no one comes in)
I have almost lost my Caddy (not once but twice actually ...)
the first time (they think was an ulcer from chewing wood) he had stopped eating, but I thought he was just sleeping a lot - this was during a very cold time/ice storm outside; so they sleep more in the winter - and I thought that was all it was. There were two pds in there and the food was disappearing so I didn't realize he was not eating anything at all; or drinking; because they sleep so much in the winter and he was older, so I didn't really know to be worried.
Turns out he wad dehydrated, but I had no idea;
When I noticed he was laying "FLAT on his belly' and I picked him up and no movement, nothing, I thought he had passed already, but I heard a little whimper, so I immediately called the vet (I too live an hour away from anywhere); I was panicked and crying (hysterical actually) and they told me about the gatorade; and I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made; he had energy again and ate the nugget I gave him. Took him to the vet the next morning and told me about the ulcer and that's why he stopped eating and drinking; b/c it hurt his little tummy - so he was on some meds prescribed from the vet for his ulcer (basically a form of pepto to coat his stomach); and he was getting better. Then Chloe (my little girl pd/Caddy's companion) she had an accident while I was at work on a Friday (I still don't know what happened, something in her cage) Well, she couldn't move her hind legs at all when I got home and she was ok otherwise; eating, drinking acting normal, just her back half seemed paralized; even the vet said so and said she'd probably regain the use of her back legs again (This was Saturday the next day). Then on Sunday I picked her up and blood came out of her, so I panicked and immediately took her to the emergency vet hospital - she was internally bleeding and she was very weak. THEY DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - they had the nerve to ask me what a pd's temperature is supposed to be; they are supposed to be the experts; also they asked me this after making us wait over 2 hours to even be seen by a tech, not even a real vet. They still charged me over $100 for that visit. I had spent $460 the day before at their regular vet b/c of the xrays (that showed no broken bones, etc.) - So I took her home, knowing deep down that this was probably it - I just held her all night long and took her to her regular vet the next morning praying that someone could do something - perform some sort of miracle! Within 15 minutes they told me she had passed. I just held her and cried and cried, and I know I heard a 'whimper' and felt her foot move a little; I hated that she was suffering so much, and they kept insisting she was gone, but I knew she wasn't, so I made them do the euthanization to make sure whe wasnt suffering any longer. So I went home and Caddy knew something happened - he acted strange; he was really depressed and stopped eating and drinking; he just kept going down hill I was afraid he'd pass too if I didn't get him a friend or two . I got two new pds (b/c if I got just one, then that one would go through it when Caddy is gone). So they keep him company and they perked him up, but he is older and doesn't have the energy they do, and with two young ones and him, it definitely shows his age. I worry about him everyday and dread the day that I lose him; he's my pride and joy in life (I love all my animals but there is something just really special about my caddy!) I don't know why I'm writing all of this, I guess your story made me think about it all and I wanted you to know you are not alone! We all have a special place in our hearts!
Thank you again for sharing with us and I am so so sorry!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Playful Pup

So sorry for your loss. I know this post is a little older, but I'm just now going through everyone's posts and reading them.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Playful Pup

I do know how heartbreaking this must have been for you. I had lost three over the years and I still feel so lost without them.

I have three left, Tallulah is nine years old Lulu and Gussie are almost four and all are doing well. I know there will be come a time when I will lose them and I will cry again and again because I love them so much.