sick pdog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy sick pdog

I have a prairie dog and she has been having breathing problems. I took her to a vet and he said she has a respiratory infection. He put her on antibiotics however she is still not breathing right. I am in Spring Hill, FL (1 hour north of tampa) and trying to find a vet that knows something about pdogs. This vet seemed knowledgable but I am really questioning his ability with pdogs. Any help would be appreciated.
symptoms: she sounds like she has a stuffy nose, and sorta like coughs when she breathes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Well I can't think of anything more that you can do for an RI. Are you administering the antibiotics according to the instructions? The symptoms might not clear up until the course of medication has been finished, just like in humans.
Try changing any bedding etc to non dusty bedding. This can irritate RI.
Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2 gerbils, Cheech and Cookie

~2 degus, Diego and Luna (rescues!)

~1 old rat, Touille (Too-ee - rescue!), 2 babies, Cassius and Columbus

~A naughty old Jack Russell, Jack (rescue doggy)

~A dopey Black and White Shorthair, also Jack!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yes, I have been giving her the antibiotics every 12 hours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I took her to the vet Friday so she has been on them for almost a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

Good, well just be patient and make sure you keep hygiene to a maximum and dust to a minimum. Make sure she finishes the whole course of antibiotics, that is of fundamental importance.

If, when she finishes the antibiotics, she is still exhibiting these symptoms I would recommend that you go to see your vet again, if not beforehand for a check up.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I found my pdog has odontoma. The vet said it looks like she is in the early stages and suggested that they pull her top teeth. She said that should take care of the problem.

Fidget the Prairie Dog
Precious the Guinea Pig....rip 10/27/07
Ziggy the Dog
75 gallon aquarium

Lucinda, Nice to meet ya
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

I bet you're glad that you took her to the vet now.
I hope she gets better soon
xoxoxox

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Please contact Gena right away! She's very experienced with odentoma and is the only one I'd ever trust my babies with. She consults with vets all the time on this surgery and many have been cured. From what I understand there's a special tool needed which can make the difference in recovering or not. She's not just a devoted owner she has the education (doctorate) to back it up and is IMO THE top expert. Vets listen to her advice over the average person because she has the education and can keep emotions out.

I'm so sorry your baby girl is sick. I'll keep her in my prayers. There's no prayer too small for God and He's knows you love her. Let's all raise our hands to heaven and let the healing began!

Gena Seaberg
Consultant for Prairie Dog Care Domestically and Abroad Since 1995
2023 Adams Avenue
Everett, WA 98203
Office 425.265.0818
Cell 425.870.1729

[email protected]

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

Tags
prairie dog, respiratory infection