Thinking of getting a PD concerned about "ruts" - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting a PD concerned about "ruts"

Hi,
I have a 6 year old son who would really like a PD I have read up alot but something that keep me from doing it is the "ruts"

We are not novice pet owners but the thought of one of us being bit & held onto scares me. I was wondering how common ruts are & how bad they really are. I realize every animal is different. We have one sugar glider who will bite you everytime, the other one loves to cuddle & the 3rd could care less about you. SO I realize there is not one answer but for those of you whose PD do get ruts how bad are they?

Do a majority of them get ruts. We would plan on getting ours fixed but I also know that doesn't end it.

Are ruts infrequent but you just more about them or do they happen to all PD?

Can anyone recommend a good book.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I had 2 female pd's and from my memory they were in rut once per year and it lasted maybe a month and a half, if I remember correctly (they passed away a couple years ago).

The one pd would be a bit crabby and would bite the bars of the cage and chitter at me on occasion during rut but she would quickly "smile" and come running to the cage door when I opened it. I was never bitten although I have heard of quite a few owners suffering from nasty bites during rut. And yes, you are correct...they can still have rut symptoms after being spayed or neutered.

My other pd was pretty easy going and was never like that during rut. If it weren't for the first pd showing signs of rut, I would've never known it was rut season.

The one book that I had was "Bringing a Prairie Dog Into Your Home" and I found it pretty useful.

I miss my girls terribly. I cried my eyes out when they died. The second one died about 2 months after the first one passed. Even though I gave her tons of extra attention after her "sister" died, I still think she died of a broken heart. Pd's are VERY social animals and need alot of attention, especially if they are kept by themselves (which I do not recommend if at all possible).

Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Herp Nerd

My females don't have an appreciable rut, and I've never had a real issue with them, but my male does. He goes through periods from mid October to mid November and from mid February until mid March where I simply don't trust him. He's only bit me once, and that was more than enough for me to learn the signs of when he just wants to be left alone.

I haven't seen anyone else talk about it for years, but I actually use UV lighting on my prairie dogs during daylight hours. Many years ago, back on the old Kritter Korner forum, we had a big discussion on how several PD owners noticed behavioral differences when we used UV lighting. I've just always done it... because it seemed logical for an animal that spends so much time in the open grassland.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
exotic pet, prairie dog, ruts