Tiny Prairie Dog found...HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Tiny Prairie Dog found...HELP!

I searched the Internet for Prairie Dog information (and found some...) because a little while ago I stepped onto my patio and there was this tiny Prairie Dog trying to make it's way around the concrete floor. It can't be more than a few days old. It's eyes are mostly closed and it is 2.5 inches long. I put him in a 20H gal. fish tank which contained some gravel and things he could hide under. It keeps trying to dig into the corner. Do you think there is any chance of it surviving? Out here there are numerous preditors that would make a snack of it. I tried to give it some milk with a syringe. (See pix.) I don't even think it's ready for any solid food yet. I live 35 miles SW of Tucson, Arizona, and there are many Prairie Dogs in the area, but no pet stores. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone would care to guess on the species from the pic of the adult PD waiting in line for a drink?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0550_1.jpg (51.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0564_2.jpg (53.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 2_rabbits_prairy-dog.jpg (58.3 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Dutchman; 05-13-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I would call a vet and see what they recommend as far as what type of milk to use. When I got my pd's they were still being syringe fed and I'm racking my brain trying to remember what I gave them. I do know that they like sweet potato baby food and I mixed that in with the milk I gave them. Also, make sure you give him/her timothy hay and a clean white t-shirt to make a nest in (you'll probably have to do it for it because it's so young and won't know how). Keeping it warm is very important as baby pd's become hypothermic very easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 PM

Here's a link that might be helpful to you
http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/s..._dog_care.html

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Im sorry I can't help I don't know anything about them but what a cute little fellow..
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette View Post
I would call a vet and see what they recommend as far as what type of milk to use. When I got my pd's they were still being syringe fed and I'm racking my brain trying to remember what I gave them. I do know that they like sweet potato baby food and I mixed that in with the milk I gave them. Also, make sure you give him/her timothy hay and a clean white t-shirt to make a nest in (you'll probably have to do it for it because it's so young and won't know how). Keeping it warm is very important as baby pd's become hypothermic very easily.
Thanks a whole bunch for that web address. Tomorrow when I go into town I will get some Esbilac liquid. A 'mothers milk' substitute. Would you know any reason why his (it's a male) eyes were open when I found him and haven't opened since? He crawls around the tank blindly for awhile then sleeps then crawls some more. I've read that they can't be alone, being highly socialized. Any idea, if he pulls through and opens his eyes, how long before he would need a 'roomate'? After your advice, he's lying on a white handkerchief with green and dried grass. The temperature in the tank never goes below 65 degrees at night. This is southwest Arizona. The Vet's out here won't give any information over the phone because they want you to make an appointment. Thanks again!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
Im sorry I can't help I don't know anything about them but what a cute little fellow..
Thanks for the comment. I hope he makes it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Maybe his eyes got a little "goopy" (for lack of a better word) and are stuck shut? You can try wiping his eyes with a warm washcloth to see if that helps.

PD's are very social animals and can actually die from being lonely. I don't know what the laws are in your state, if you plan on keeping him or what, but he needs ALOT of attention from you, especially if he is going to be alone. The more attention the better off he will be. You would be surprised at how quickly they will bond with humans.

If you don't plan on keeping him (once again, check the laws in your state), you might want to consider an animal rehabilitation place. It wouldn't be fair for him to bond to you and then try to place him back into the wild. He would never survive. It's possible that he would never be able to be released back into the wild because a prairie dog colony might not accept an "outsider", especially one that smells like humans.

Edited to add: Don't forget that there is also a ban on pd's due to the monkey pox thing. I don't know how that will apply to your situation.

Rhonda

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

It makes me very sad to report that the tiny pd passed away last night. He might have been too young. I don't think he could have been lonely after only 4 days. I gave him a proper burial wrapped in aluminum foil between my two big dogs from years ago. There is an ironic twist to this. A few minutes after burying him I found a dead pd the same size under a Paradise Plant. I seem to think they may have wandered away from their nest together and got seperated. I'll never know if it would have made a differance...companionshipwise! Thank you again for your information and advise. By the way, my intention was to keep him as a pet. Law aside!

Last edited by Dutchman; 05-17-2008 at 05:04 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Jird Jostler

Aww so sorry to hear of your loss, he/she was soo cute. Its nature hun, we once tried to look after a tiny baby rabbit that got abandoned near us. Sadly that died after our best efforts to keep it well.

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:08 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Since prarie dogs are common where you live, you might find another baby in the future. If so, use powdered goats milk at the formula.

You can buy PD supplies, including powdreed goat's milk and bottles, here:

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Prairie-dog-product.htm
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia163 View Post
Aww so sorry to hear of your loss, he/she was soo cute. Its nature hun, we once tried to look after a tiny baby rabbit that got abandoned near us. Sadly that died after our best efforts to keep it well.
Yes, nature can be cruel sometimes. Especially when it comes to helpless animals.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortieBaby View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. Since prarie dogs are common where you live, you might find another baby in the future. If so, use powdered goats milk at the formula.

You can buy PD supplies, including powdreed goat's milk and bottles, here:

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Prairie-dog-product.htm
Thanks for the interesting web link. I wish I would have had that when I found him.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
Thanks for the interesting web link. I wish I would have had that when I found him.
Well, you were able to learn a bit from having him. Now you'll be even more prepared if another PD baby crosses your path. You did what you could have and I commend your for that. I once found 2 baby birds and I did everything I could for them, but they died. I tried to find a rehabber, but no one was nearby so I just had to do what I could.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:11 PM

I have also used goats milk to nurse a pd. If you do find another you could try it. I got mine in a can from petsmart, it was about 6 dollars.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Hello Earthling

Old thread

Tags
baby birds, digger, fish tank, pet store, pet stores, prairie dog, prairie dogs, social animals, timothy hay