A very upset prairie dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy A very upset prairie dog

About 2 months ago my fiance and I moved. While I was at the new house getting things ready, my fiance was picking up our prairie dogs and rats to bring to their new home. He easily got two of the prairie dogs in their pet carrier, but had a lot of trouble with the third, Chubby. Chubby decided that he was going to sneak out of the cage while Seth was getting the others and then when Seth tried to get him, he hid under a stand. Seth had to take out the drawers of the stand and pull him out. Chubby has never been very fond of anyone but myself, but now he won't have ANYTHING to do with anyone else. He used to let Seth and my sister pet him for short periods and when he was done he'd leave the area. One day my sister was petting him and all of a sudden turned around bit her really badly. He came to do the exact same thing to Seth a week or so later. I was there both times and there was nothing at all that would have let me know he was upset. I'm very good at reading him, so that was very shocking to me. It seems that I can mess with him all I want and the most that happens if he's upset is a few grunts, he has never bit me in his 2 years of life. Anyway, since their little struggle, Chubby has hated Seth. If Seth so much as talks around him he will climb up the cage and chatter his teeth. They've never really been the best of friends and Chubby has been upset with him before and has chattered his teeth due to Seth's voice or just if he walked by, but Chubby quickly got over it and after about a week he was fine again. This doesn't seem to be going away. It's been going on 3 months now and he's still about as mad as he was the day it happened. Is there anything that can be done? Chubby won't even take a treat from Seth. o_O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sounds like he's in rut. Fixed or not they still go through changes as they would in the wild and you are his female. Chubby has a bond with you and everyone else is a threat to him. The chittering is normal rut behavior, but watch that body language or you may get bit as well. My Timon is the alpha male in my group and even though fixed he will try an kill anyone except my husband and sometimes Timon turns on him. I will be holding my Timon and if my husband walks by sometimes he gets a smile and few times he's been bit in the face. I really could explain this forever, but it's easier for me by phone. Call anytime! I take calls 24/7

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much! It would break my heart to see Chubby that upset with Seth forever. I feel like a large amount of weight has been lifted away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXDr4g0nXxX
Thank you so much! It would break my heart to see Chubby that upset with Seth forever. I feel like a large amount of weight has been lifted away.

I'm so glad I could help. This time of year is crazy for our precious babies. Some have very little change in behavior, and some are Jekyll 'N' Hyde. A real common misconception is that females don't become aggressive during rut. I get a lot of calls concerning little girls acting "nuts". People think because the first yr was fine they will stay that way, but pd's do not hit sexual maturity until two and that's when changes happen. A good example is my Charlie girl. She is a huge pd and probably not caught in TX I've been told. She's 14inch from nose to tail and over 7inch wide weighing close to 4 lbs. Miss Charlie has been the sweetest pd her entire life, loving me more than any other pd. In fact she will have nothing to do with another pd and has to be housed alone. My husband makes a joke saying "she will not associate with TX trash, she is high society" She is a bit snobbish, but those are all the things I love about her. One day out of the blue I opened her cage door as I did everyday and she lunged at me without warning attaching to my hand. I got her back in the cage and saw my hand pumping blood everywhere. I started laughing and my husband said "I don't think this is very funny!" I said " I do! I was just kissing her yesterday and she could have taken off my face". The bite was several inches wide and deep, but very neat since I've gotten pretty good at taking bites. I had to make a hospital run since I could not stop the bleeding or close the gaping hole. I lost a pint of blood (she bit through an artery) and was beginning to get a blood infection (animals have a very dirty mouth). The ER doc put me on IV antibiotics and pills, patched me up and said "I've never seen a rabbit do so much damage" Hee hee! My hand was in a brace and I could not use it for over a week. I've been bit before, but never this bad. Most times, maybe 90% of the time I can avoid a bite, but not during rut. They are so unpredictable that body language is not enough. I haven't been able to hold Miss Charlie since then, but I did get to scratch her hiney the other day and that was a surprise. I felt so bad my carelessness had upset her so. I miss our mornings together while I had coffee and her beaming smile. Come spring she will be my doll baby once again. She's taught me a lot and everyday I'm learning more.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Ack, that sounds like a really nasty bite! If any of my PDs do bite in such a way that medical attention is needed, will telling them it was a rabbit keep them from trying to take my babies? I would hope that they wouldn't try to drill me for information, cause there's no way I'd tell them it was a PD.... I just couldn't lose my babies. They're very much worth that big attitude! XD

Chubby seems to be snapping out of it. About 3 days ago was his first good day. When I woke up I could tell right away that he was much happier. He had been just sleeping all the time, but he was out and about and playing. Later on in the day I let him out and he had a blast! He's been able to have floor time all 3 days and has been very well behaved. I couldn't be happier. He even climbed up in Seth's lap for to cuddle today. Our girl is starting to act up now, but she did the same thing last year, so I'm more used to her being cranky, lol.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

Beefcake was horrible to my husband & son most of the winter months. One day he was fine, the next he was like a Tazmanian Devil. We never knew what to expect from him. He was supposed to be neutered, but the vet didn't know any thing about pd. anatomy apparently. He was so unpredictable that neither my husband nor my son ever got to hold him. I only got to a few times myself. We used to let him run around sometimes. I would sit on the floor with my legs crossed & Beefcake would act like I was his territory to protect. A couple of times he would get so possessive of me that we had to scare him back in his cage. I didn't want anything peirced, if you know what I mean. When Beefcake died, & I finally got to hold him, I didn't want to let go of him to bury him. I Know this sounds weird, but I wanted to make up for the 5 years I didn't get to show him the affection I wanted to. I hope he knows how much he was loved & how much we miss him, even when he was such a grouch. Stinky, our cat even greived when we removed his cage. He layed in the spot where it he had been for days. He missed his buddy. They used to have so much fun chasing each other.
We helped build a new pd. town, in his honor, by relocating a group of wild ones. they were on a construction site, where building was soon to begin. It was the most fullfilling thing we have ever done, so we will continue to save as many as we can, for as long as we can.
Anybody out there know anyone with land that would like to re-introduce this vital ecosystem to their prairie? If so contact me asap. I have, or can get the proper permits to move them. Please help save these adorable creatures, by spreading the word. We still need new home/homes for about 500. The property owners will be forced to erradicate if we can't find anywhere to take them. thanks

Tags
prairie dog, prairie dogs