Walking prairie dogs on a harness. Does anybody do it? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Walking prairie dogs on a harness. Does anybody do it?

I was wondering if anyone here regularly walks their P dog on a harness. And if so, how do they do with it? And which harnesses have worked best for you? And lastly, where do you take them for their walk? Feel free to comment, and thank you for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Newborn Pup

Hey I just got my first prairie dog 2 days ago from underground reptiles in south florida I haven't walked her yet but as soon as she gets a little bigger and more comfortable I will try. My best guess would be a ferret harness for when they are small
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Resident Zoologist

I am curious...just what species are people here considering 'prairie dogs'? The name is a catch-all for quite a few species under subfamily Xerinae (The five Cynomys species being the primary ones)...I know that Richardson's ground squirrels, Urocitellus richardsonii, a species local to myself, were being harvested and exported as 'prairie dog pets' a few years ago in quite some volume.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
I am curious...just what species are people here considering 'prairie dogs'? The name is a catch-all for quite a few species under subfamily Xerinae (The five Cynomys species being the primary ones)...I know that Richardson's ground squirrels, Urocitellus richardsonii, a species local to myself, were being harvested and exported as 'prairie dog pets' a few years ago in quite some volume.
In the pet trade, "prairie dog" tends to refer to the "black-tailed prairie dog", Cynomys ludovicianus.

Urocitellus richardsonii is generally referred to by its common name, Richardson's ground squirrel, not as a prairie dog.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
In the pet trade, "prairie dog" tends to refer to the "black-tailed prairie dog", Cynomys ludovicianus.

Ah, but not in Canada or Japan, where the Richardson's ground squirrel is pretty much all that is sold anywhere (although about 30% of the 'prairie dogs' in Japan are now C. ludovicianus). I thought that because of the 5 year ban on BTPDs in the US, that the Richardson's, or another species, may have gained prevalence. C. ludovicianus are almost never seen offered as pets in Canada.
Quote:
Urocitellus richardsonii is generally referred to by its common name, Richardson's ground squirrel, not as a prairie dog.
But by whom, and where? Amongst my colleagues, we tend to almost never use common names, in Western Canada and much of the northwest USA, they are typically called 'gophers', but in the pet trade here (and, as earlier mentioned, Japan), they are referred to as 'prairie dogs'.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You wanted to know what species they were referring to and the people in this thread are in the U.S. Why would I bother to point out what they're called in Japan?

Are your colleagues pet rodent hobbyists? Of course scientists aren't going to use common names and I don't either when doing research. But on a pet forum you can't expect everyone to use scientific names (as handy as it would be in the Aquatics section!). Maybe all of the names are different in Canada (I have no idea, my knowledge of the exotic pet trade is mainly restricted to the U.S. and Japan) but most people on here with an interest in pet squirrels are going to use and understand common names. It's like when the celestial danio was called "galaxy rasbora"---it was definitely not a rasbora but everyone knew what species a person meant when they used that name . Weird example, maybe, but as an aquarist I figured you'd know what I meant .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Newborn Pup

My little Digger loved his harness and loved to go outside with his Doberman siblings and romp around the yard. That was a site two 80+ pound red Doberman Pinchers and a 3 lb PD on a leash

Tags
harness, prairie dog