what kind of bedding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question what kind of bedding?

hi everyone im new on here and im finally getting my baby in a week or so! im very excited but nervous because i still dont have everything ready yet. im curious about the bedding. i have a ferret cage that i was using for my degus but i bought them a new cage because they chewed through the plastic liner bottom that covers up the mesh wire on the bottom of the cage. so the plastic part is basically useless since its about half eaten. i want to use that cage because its got the perfect amount of room and only two levels so my baby shouldnt be able to fall from too high. but theres no guard to stop the bedding from getting kicked out or all over the floor. i read somewhere that as long as theres wire mesh on the floor they dont need bedding but that seems silly to me. and i was also consider just using fabric to bundle up for him to sleep on and cuddle in. i dont know i would really appreciate any info on what everyones using and what i should do. thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't have a prairie dog but I know with rabbits, you can just litterbox train them and not have any bedding. If prairie dogs are the same way, that might be why you're reading about not having to use bedding.

The fabric idea sounds like a good one. A lot of people with guinea pigs line their cages with fleece and just wash it every day.

If you're looking for something to line the bottom that isn't as easy to kick out, Yesterday's News is pretty good. It doesn't get everywhere like wood shavings or Carefresh (but I'm sure some will get kicked out).

You could also try to make your own bottom. Maybe use a plastic bin or something? Or make a guard out of coroplast?

Like I said, though, I don't have prairie dogs, so hopefully someone who does has a better answer for you!

By the way, I noticed that you're in New York. Where are you getting your prairie dog from? If you don't mind me asking .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i think i like the fabric idea best. then maybe i could put just tshirts in there for them to snuggle with. ive heard of people doing that. its funny because i had looked EVERYWHERE for one and the only shop i knew of that had them was suppose to be the "last" ones for the year so i started looking online. i found some but the only way to ship them is through the airport and that was like 200 dollars for the shipping alone. i thought it was silly to spend an extra 200 dollars to ship them when i could just wait and pick one up. so i emailed the place that said the "last" for the year a few times. never got an email back. so i said oh well im just gonna go there to see and i walked in and he had probably 10 or so babies. they werent ready to go yet but he said we could reserve one. i was so excited haha. the shop is in cicero, new york its north of syracuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Good luck!

Ah, I see, cool! I haven't ever seen them for sale in New York, that's why I asked. But I know people must have them here since I see the food sold.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks! i know and the fact that they have them now, at least in this store, is very recent. i go there a few times a month and ive only seen one other batch than these. i think ive changed my mind on the fabric. ive been reading around and alot of people on this forum think fuzzy bedding is bad. for prairie dogs at least. i know you said its fine for guinnea pigs. but i digress lol. anyway thanks for the advice! very much appreciated! i cant wait!!!