what is a prairie dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

what is a prairie dog?

Sorry i just wanted to know what a praire dog is? sorry if that is a stupid question but i thought those were wild animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

All animals were wild at some point

It's a rodent you can keep in groups as a "pet".

I say "pet" because most do not like to be handeled, and I belive they should have a big outdoor space to run around in...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

That is true. hmm sounds interesting they look pretty cute though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM

My prairie dog loves to be handled. These animals live in colonies so if you get them when they are babies, they bond to you just as if you were their family. There are many other animals that I would consider not good as pets but prairie dogs aren't one of them. My boy's home is his cage and his room. he does not like to leave it, and really doesn't care to be outside. He would rather lay in bed and have his butt scratched.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 PM

i think prarie dogs haved been pests for farmers and insted of killing them they sell as pets. and also people breeds them so yes they are domestikated, not to the point that it change they physikal feeture like dogs and cat and rabbit(who dont look the same as widl type) but some are a generaton or two from the wild, som are not. its like pet macaws dont look different from wild macaws, but pet parakeet look a little different from wild parakeet(different colour varatons) ether because they is more prone to genetik differences, or more pet demand so more breeded, or a shorter lifespan so more opporunites to variate.
so any wild animal can domestikated, then considered a pet. and if that animal have been domestikated long enuf then it starts to phisikly different from its ancestors, then there is no wild colony the same as this pet it is almost a different animal.

i have not prarie dogs but richardson ground squirrels, and they is awesome pets. imo more sutible as pet (less wild instincts) than my gerbils was. they is soooo frendly and dont mind beeing piked up or petted and follow me around everywhere.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

is a ground squirrel the same as a gopher? i looked it up and we call the ones with stripes streeky gophers and the ones with out (the richardsons) gophers i'm pretty sure

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM

We call them jordegern >_<

I always thought of a gopher as the ones in the small disney cartoons with Pluto.
They don't have stripes...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

a chipmunk is a ground squirrel and i think streeky gophers are too i don't know their actual name i'll look em up, but the richardson ground squirrel i'm pretty sure we call pocket gophers

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:02 PM

hmm well in the suborder Sciuromorpha include chipmonk and ground squirrel and gopher (also woodchuck,beaver,prarie dog,tree squirrel, flying squirrel,kangaroo rat and springhare). so i think they is related but not the same thing. in genus spermophilus i only know 2 animals: spermophilus richardsonii (richardson ground squirrel) and spermophilus columbianus(columbian ground squirrel). gophers i think is less upright and have bald tails. chipmunks have longer and more fluffy tail and stripes. but the 13 lineed ground squirrel also have stripe so maybe that is what have you call streeky gophers? but yeah richardsons have many many different names its too confusing haha.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 AM

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...x=0&Search.y=0
Gophers

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...ry=Information
Chipmunks

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...ry=Information
Ground squirrels

Not all the animals described are rodents or eaven mammals

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Tags
what is it