where can i buy prairie dogs? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Newborn Pup

I may have said this before and if I did, I apologize. I went to an exotic pet show to find a pet store that would order pds for me. He gave me a discount for purchasing two. The two lovelies I have were farm breed and are sweeties. You may want to try an exotic show and hopefully will have the same result as I. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Playful Pup

I apologize for causing any confusion. =)

What I was getting at in my message is that I help place pups each pup season into knowledgeable, loving, and committed forever homes. I will have pups available in limited numbers for people throughout the US that live in a legal state. In order to obtain one or two, I help educate and screen owners, both new and established because everyone always has ways to improve on their care. I'm learning new things all the time about them so I figure even the best of owners can improve in some ways, too. I put my doctoral degree to work in the form of long term nutritional needs in geriatrics, plus I've been consulting on prairie dogs for 15 years.

I work with owners, veterinarians, zoos, sanctuaries, relocators, and more on the proper captive care of pds.

Each spring (before the ban and after) I help those that are looking help this misunderstood species.

Each year exotics laws change, I help clients make anonymous inquiries by contacting those entities that make the determination of whether a pd can be kept in captivity legally. Often because of my educational background, I can get farther because 1) I'm calling from out of state trying to serve a client, and 2) I have already researched the laws within their state before making the inquiry and they must prove to me by law/regulation whether their specific state has something in writing to prove their legality one way or another. I say this because it isn't uncommon for them to just say they are illegal because they don't like them and they try to get a potential owner to back down and disclose their personal information. At least that is what seems to happen in some states.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Playful Pup

MA doesn't let most exotics to be kept as pets! I hope that changes soon. Amazingly, most of them would not survive if they were to escape (and that is a HUGE part of why they are not legal....'what they would do to the eco-system and such if they escape'. Sad, really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Playful Pup

I was told MA won't legalize Prairie Dogs was because they won't survive Rabies Shots. This seems foolish to me as if they can't survive Rabies Shots, they wouldn't survive if they got Rabies.

As far as I know no human has died from a pet Prairie Dog, however people have died from Hamsters. Seems to me people are in more danger from Hamsters.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Playful Pup

Well, sugar gliders don't get rabies and they are not legal either (and if they escape, they would die, so it is a mute point to even worry about that.) MA is a very strange state.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Playful Pup

Tell me about it. I'm from Connecticut where Prairie Dogs are legal.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM

Are PD's legal in New Mexico?
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Playful Pup

PD Jenn knows, but I have heard from her in a long long time.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Playful Pup

Hello -

According to the Director's Species Importation List from the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish, and my discussion with the State Veterinarian, Dr. Fly, prairie dogs are prohibited as pets to the general public in New Mexico. Exemption permits are allowed for scientific study, department approved restoration and recovery projects, zoological display, temporary events, use as a service animal, or by a qualified expert (pursuant 19 NMAC 35.7). Also, since two species of prairie dog (Mexican and Utah) are federally endangered/threatened respectively and are rarely seen in New Mexico, they prohibit all species to avoid question and concern.

If you have further questions, you are welcome to call me. My info is on my profile.

Take care,
Gena

Last edited by Gena Seaberg; 01-12-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: n
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Playful Pup

I am hoping to buy another prairie dog this spring. I lost Lulu just before Christmas because my furnace died and even though I had electric heaters going she got too cold.

It took hours to fix my furnace and I tried rubbing Lulu and I even tried mouth to nose and mouth with quick shallow breathes I lost my sweet baby.

I had her cremated and I put her wooden box in my cabinet where my other pets' ashes are.

I'm still heart broken.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Playful Pup

Lyris, I am so very sorry to hear you lost your little Lulu.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Newborn Pup

Sorry to hear that....

Its not too cold where I live but I have a 150watt panel heater that goes under a desk to warm your feet. Was like $50 on Amazon. The Pdogs love it. Its a metal panel about 22" x 16" mounted to the outside of their cage. I covered the cord with a metal channel. Its an Indus-Tool CL cozy leg panel heater.
Uses about the same electricity as leaving a 150 watt light on.
For about another $30 you can get a thermostatic controlled
outlet to plug it into. I lost two Richarsons squirrels to the same thing. Im not going to let it happen again.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Playful Pup

I have two wall panel heaters and I will be putting them in my living room. They are imported from of all places Africa, and are ceramic.

I'm still crushed over losing my baby. Lulu was the sweetest little girl. Gussie her brother tried to keep her warm, but it got so cold.

I live in an older mobile home and the insulation isn't good.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Playful Pup

Alrato, you used to have rgs? I am getting one and would love to talk to people who have had them! I posted, but no one has replied. (Sorry to threadjack.)
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Playful Pup

My heartfelt condolences, Lyris, for your loss of Lulu. I hope your memories in time bring smiles and joy to have experienced her love.