where can i buy prairie dogs? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Playful Pup

It may take a while, now it brings tears. Tallulah and Gussie miss her I can tell. They are mopey but it could be because it' Winter and I had to separate Gussie because he keeps trying to mate with Tallulah who is almost nine years old.

I don't know if female prairie dogs ever get menopause, but Tallulah is clearly not in the mood and Gussie won't take no for an answer. Funny but Lulu could control her brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Newborn Pup

Others may not agree but we use a reptile warming stone with the wire out of reach and stowed in a quilted pouch. Our pds lay on it and are always nice and warm. Believe it or not, they leave the pouch alone and never chew on it. Sorry for Lulu's passing. She lives on in your memories and photos.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Playful Pup

I don't trust Gussie. When he somehow escapes for the cage he finds a home inside my sofa which now has a huge hole in the back of it.

He would check the quilted pouch would be chewed up in no time, and probably that's true with most P.D.'s. Just keep your eyes on it as you don't want your PD's to get sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Newborn Pup

does anyone know of any breeders in Florida?
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Playful Pup

They used to list things like that in Critters. I Googled and a familiar name came up, Helen's Little Critters.

Now is not the time the babies are old enough to be away from their mothers.

Try again in April or May.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Newborn Pup

ryanmiller
Are you looking for pups or would you want pds that are about 9 to 10 months old? In the spring, there is a breeding farm in upper Florida for the pups once ready to leave their mothers. If you want the ones a little older, let me know.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Newborn Pup

prairie dogs

gremlinfarms.com

ships world wide
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Prairie Dogs

I'm sure this is an older add,
but I am in Winsted, Connecticut and will have 3 bottle fed pups available for 5/4/12. Currently accepting deposits: please send me an e-mail. I am hilltopexoticpets at yahoo
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 PM

I have a beautiful happy little PD girl and we are in AL. I have found the regs on exotic pets and it says no wild rodents. However, my baby was captive breed and from a reputable pet store. I wonder it they would still consider her wild??
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Newborn Pup

prairie dog

the word "captive breed" that means it is not a wild rodent
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Playful Pup

I am down to one Prairie Dog, Tallulah who was ten years old died this past Summer. Gussie is lonely and I would love to have another, but have no way of buying a pup. I live in MA and while they say it isn't legal, I have had no problem. Animal control knew I had them when I called because I had a bat that got into my old apartment, the guy never gave me any problems. I have since moved, but I was in my old apartment for four years before I moved.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Playful Pup

Legalities about Alabama, email me directly for the exact language abut your post.

Hello,

I'm so sorry to read about your loss and really want to help you. There are a few different places to research the legalities about owning prairie dogs specifically due to increased restrictions implemented by states as a result of the monkey pox ban that was lifted in 2008. Sadly, according to their State Health Veterinarian from research I was doing for another client, they are not permitted, regardless of if they were claimed to be captive bred.

Unfortunately, even very "reputable" stores are misinformed about what they are selling and they are often wild caught but hand raised when the facts are uncovered. Often, if the pet store were to question and ask for pictures of when the pups were nursing with their mother to actually prove a captive litter, the people that are selling them fail to provide that evidence or squirm around that direct questioning, even going so far as to show you a picture of someone's pair that might not even belong to them just to get you to believe their story.

I'm not saying it is impossible that they were captive bred, but the chances are very remote as I deal with people all over the country and often find out that they were not given the facts, even many wonderful pet stores.

So, I'm happy to help you further and again wish you my condolences about your loss and poor little girl. I can send you the exact documents and info via private email and we can discuss your options if you want. I can be reached at [email protected] or 425.870.1729.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynstuff View Post
I have a beautiful happy little PD girl and we are in AL. I have found the regs on exotic pets and it says no wild rodents. However, my baby was captive breed and from a reputable pet store. I wonder it they would still consider her wild??
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Playful Pup

I bought my first four at World Exotics in FL about three months ago so they are now prob 7-8 months old. I never asked but talked to someone that lives there that they supposably breeds them. Not sure about that. Mine were a little skiddish for a short while but came around. i then got three more from S&S Exotics in Houston. I live in TX and the shipping about killed me at $275.00 but worth it. These where a little more jumpy. One was chirping the entire ride home and at home, God love her. She now is very lovey and will put her head under my chin and rub her nose on me. There's only one that I'm still working with, named Squirrel. I have never had a baby before so I can't compare how those are to the older ones. Mine also live outside but I bring some in every night.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Playful Pup

Lyris, I sent you a pm about a pd looking for a home.