where can i buy prairie dogs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

where can i buy prairie dogs?

hello, i was wondering if theres anywhere online i could buy a prarie dog and also ships for a reasonable price? ive looked everywhere and cant seem to find a place. where has everyone got there prairie dogs from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am not sure, but is there possibly a rescue or rehab in your area?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I am allergic to maths

Some pet shops sell them, ive never seen them advertised online
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Newborn Pup

There are plenty of online places to buy them but are you sure you want to go that route? You'll get what they send you and you will have no chance to interact with one from a breeder or pet store. Also, you may want to try going to an exotic pet exhibition and ask the vendors if they have pds or know of anyone who does within your area. That is how we found someone in our state that was going to carry them. It was a two hour drive but well worth it because I handled all of them until I found the two we brought home.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Playful Pup

What states do allow buy and owning prairie dogs? Connecticut used to before the ban but I don't know if they are going to allow this now.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Newborn Pup

S&S Exotics in Houston, I just bought 2. I went there myself and a girl named Amber helped me pick out 2. They are really nice. She takes care of them so they all know her.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Playful Pup

I was also going to recommend S&S exotics in Houston, Texas. They're very well known for their prairie dogs. But, if you're looking for a pup, you'll have to wait until spring (between the months of March-May, usually). But if you don't care about adopting an adult, then have at it. I know most places here where I am (ft.worth) that have prairie dog pups during the spring don't have any prairie dogs now. I've also seen pds advertised on Craigslist.org, but buyer beware....usually they're getting rid of their pets due to behavioral problems.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Playful Pup

I will wait. Texas is a bit far for me. I was hoping someone knew what states were going to allow prairie dogs to be sold.

I have a few already but would love to have more. Prairie Dogs are happier with companions. They crave constant attention.

I make sure the individual pups bond to me first before I introduce them to the others. I just love the sound of yahoos when I open I come home, or sneeze, or the telephone rings.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Newborn Pup

Before the ban in what, 2003, CA, MA, GA and CO were a few of the states that banned the sale of pds. Imagine that, CO banning them since there are tons of them there. Anyway, today, couldn't say for sure which states ban and allow but a google search will probably have the answer. We purchased our two in Plant City, Florida from Fancy Pets Pet Store. He orders only what is requested and can be found online and at exotic pet shows. We had found a breeder in VA looking online as well. Good luck with your search.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Newborn Pup

^A breeder in VA? Would you mind sharing with me who? =] I'd really appreciate it!
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Playful Pup

Thank you Baglady 1st. I thought PA was another state that didn't allow P.D.'s
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Newborn Pup

yeongsu, Let me do some searching and I'll try to relocate the VA breeder and get back with you if I can find her.
Lyris, Your welcome.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Newborn Pup

I am having a difficult time finding the VA breeder. So sorry. It was over a year ago when I found her. Since then, I found someone in Florida. I should have bookmarked it but didn't because I was looking for one closer to me. I'll keep looking. I found her the first time with a google search.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Playful Pup

Since the ban has been lifted (9/08), these are some states where they are not permitted: OH, WI, CA, CO, MA, PA, GA, MS, OR, and more.

Every year laws change. Due to my work, I help a portion of my clients throughout the country that either want them as captive pets or are looking toward relocation to determine the current legality of prairie dogs as pets.

Some states simply aren't aware that ban restrictions were lifted September, 2008.

I'm happy to help anyone with this process because it is not as cut and dry and sometimes, if you don't know how to approach it, they will simply tell you no as a means of disallowing a species they may not prefer people to keep instead of actual laws or regs that prohibit them as pets.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Playful Pup

Connecticut used to allow them and even had pet shops that sold them, which is where I bought them before the ban. I'm hoping they'll allow it again.

The problem so many independent pet shops went out of business. My former neighbor sold me three and he made sure I learned about them before he sold them to me. Unfortunately he was one of the independents that went out of business.

Spring is coming and I am trying to find pet shops that will sell them without asking a fortune. Pet Smart was one of of the chain pet shops that sold them, but they sold the White tail ones. I have a feeling they won't get along with the Black tail Prairie Dogs.

So far I haven't found any pet shops in CT that sells them.