Where can I find a PD in Michigan? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Where can I find a PD in Michigan?

Hi everyone! I am very interested in acquiring a prairie dog or two. I have done my research as i do with all the animals i wish to own but i am having trouble finding someone trustable and reliable to acquire them from. I am not 100% sure i can get them yet because i am a highschooler still and need the final ok from my parents . I heard about PD's from my zoology teacher, who had one when he was my age. Later i saw a PD at the petstore a few miles from my house but i dont believe it's a wise decision to buy from them. If someone can give me an option or two that would be great!
Also i have a couple questions:
* can someone be allergic to prairie dogs?
* is it better to have one or two prairie dogs? what is better for the prairie dogs themselves?

Thanks for all help in advance!!

~ animalchic24/7 ~
*God created even the smallest of creatures with amazing detail and design*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Newborn Pup

Sounds like you need to do some more research on these guys. Would you be willing to travel to adopt?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah I am definitley doing plenty more research before i decide to acquire the little guys! Well, it depends how far of a travel, but if it means getting the healthiest prairie dogs then i guess so! ~thanks for the reply~

~ animalchic24/7 ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think they have a some what long life span, so i never advise someone in high school to get a pet that lives so long, with out pointing out a few questions.

Are you planning on going to college?

If so- do you know where? do you have to live in the dorms there for 1 or 2 years?

If so- who will take care of them for those years you are gone? Will your parents be willing to take care of them for you?

If not- it is sometimes hard finding a pet friendly apartment in college towns however somewhat easier for caged pets. but you may need to put a pet deposit and pay extra pet rent.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Newborn Pup

I could give you the phone number to an expert who could help educate you on PD's and could help you adopt. PM me if interested.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Kendalle, yes i plan on going to college, in fact i'm going to college to become a veterinarian! My parents are very helpful and willing when it comes to caring for my pets, in fact my mom enjoys hogging my pets if i am gone for any reason. Etherwise i am pretty sure i am going to a college that is 20 min. away from my house and my parents plan on me living at home so there will be no need to pay for dorm expenses. I got it covered either way! thank you for your concern! I definitley want the best for my pets!

amandaols, sounds good! i'll PM you soon.

~ animalchic24/7 ~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

amandaols: thanks for all your help, I am continuing to do my research to further educate myself before i acquire a prairie dog. Also, i have made a list of everything i will need if and when i get a PD. also, i have been finding out prices and the quality of supplies at different stores. These things include food, shelter, toys for chewing, etc. If you want to see my list, and give me your input about it, then i can PM it to you.
Also, when my parents and i finalize a decision of whether to get a PD or not, and if that decision is yes, then i will contact the expert you gave me the info for and then go from there!
Once again, thank you for your time and help!

~ animalchic24/7 ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Newborn Pup

I'm glad you're serious about learning as much as you can before making your decision; that's great! PM me your list and I'll take a look at it for you. Also, PM me your email address and I can send you some info to read over about diets, enclosures, and general care of PD's.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ok sounds good! thanks so much!

~ animalchic24/7 ~
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

hmmm...
amandaols, it appears i can recieve messages from you but cannot send them to you. could you PM me your email? then i could send you my list and then you would have my email to send me the info. does that work out ok?
sorry for this inconvenience!

~ animalchic24/7 ~

Tags
prairie dog