Where are Prarie Dogs banned and what are they like? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Where are Prarie Dogs banned and what are they like?

I'd like everyone's opinioin here...what is here Prarie Dog like?
and where are they banned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

They are banned for sale in the US. I love mine to death. She is so friendly but only to the immediate family. She rubs noses with me, "Barks" when she hears my keys when I come home from work. She lays downs and takes naps with me. Yes, they do bite, she has bitten me twice in 5 years because she was playing too rough. They are really very loveable animals.

They were banned in 2003 because of Monkey Pox. Hopefully the ban will be lifted someday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fidget the Prairie Dog
Precious the Guinea Pig....rip 10/27/07
Ziggy the Dog
75 gallon aquarium

Lucinda, Nice to meet ya
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are really cute animals.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiedog68
They are banned for sale in the US. I love mine to death. She is so friendly but only to the immediate family. She rubs noses with me, "Barks" when she hears my keys when I come home from work. She lays downs and takes naps with me. Yes, they do bite, she has bitten me twice in 5 years because she was playing too rough. They are really very loveable animals.

They were banned in 2003 because of Monkey Pox. Hopefully the ban will be lifted someday.
Are most Prarie Dogs like yours and how do you play with them??
Is Monkey Pox really caused by Prarie Dogs or is it a common mistake?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

there was 2 pdogs in a pet store next to a gambian rat which contracted the monkey pox to the pdogs and they banned them.
Fidget likes to pounce and play chase(either me chasing her or vice versa).lol.. Usually pdogs are 1 person animals, she barks when I come home and the rest of the family, she just looks at them...lol

My husband is sorta jealous that she likes me better than him...lol

Fidget the Prairie Dog
Ziggy the Dog
75 gallon aquarium

Lucinda, Nice to meet ya
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Prairie dogs are indigenous only to the US, and have been pets since colonial times. They are wild animals, but domesticate better than another I know of. In the wild they can catch diseases, but being as they do not have the strongest immune system they die within 24hrs of exposure to any natural illness.

Monkey pox affects only animals from Africa and if quarantined the two weeks as USDA law requires the animals exposed die within that time. A shipped in TX did not follow USDA law because of the expense incurred caring for these animals. Every prairie dog in that shipment who contracted monkey pox had died, but because FDA could not account for all in that shipment the ban was put in effect.

No one in the US who caught this died! The papers were giving African statistics, and with poor health care and hygiene people there have died. I know several people who's entire family (babies included) who caught monkey pox, and all said it was no big deal and having the flu was much worst. They didn't break out with 100's of pox's as the papers claim, but just a few. They were over the illness within days.

Just to explain the CDC is in charge of imports and exports and the FDA is in charge of animals in the US. The importance of the ban is to prevent this disease from spreading to our native wildlife, but they are now taking it too far because it's easier. The ban on all imports from Africa is still in place (which would have been enough), but it's safe to say monkey pox is no longer a problem. Because there are not enough people who see prairie dogs as the incredible animals they are, but pests these laws will not change. The ranchers get the vote.

As far as pets if you do your research and learn proper care, they are by far the best pet I've ever had. They must be caught humanly as babies to adjust to humans, which takes very little time. The people I know who catch them say they're happy to be caught. My oldest is 9 and my others go down in yrs, but I can't imagine a life without them. I'll never live without a prairie dog even if I have to drive cross county and catch them myself.

Even with the ban the FDA said " we know prairie dogs are being moved all over the country and we don't want to know about it". They don't want anyone putting in for permits nor will they be approved. They would rather not know where you are or what you're doing.

Every year pd's are being killed by the 1000's. There are very special people doing nothing, but trying to save these animals. Every spring babies still need homes ban or not, and do get them. There are no pd police and adopting a baby can be and is being done every year.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

wow that's very informative..thank you... Fidget unfortunately was just diagnosed with odontoma. Now, I am trying to decide if I should do the surgery or well I don't want to mention the other option.

They are absolutely loveable pets and I would love to get another one. She has definitely changed my life.

The killiings that are going on are absolutely horrible. The govt would rather kill them than let people have them as pets.

Fidget the Prairie Dog
Ziggy the Dog
75 gallon aquarium

Lucinda, Nice to meet ya
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Oily Chickenspew

so if they are banned....can you still take them to the vet if they are sick?? (i'm very interested now! )

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yes

Rhonda

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Oily Chickenspew

ok. that's good...i was worried you could like get turned in or something!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 11:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am guessing you need a liscense or permit.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If you applied for one it wouldnt be approved. IMO I dont think its very wise to try to catch them yourself

*Missy*
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Adolescent Pup

There's no license or permit needed to take any prairie dog to the vet. It's true that some vets will not see pd's, but they are very few. For one thing once a pd is a yr old there's no way to prove their age, so for all they know they're pre ban. My vet for one has never asked any questions and reports to no one. People drive from all over the US to have their pd's spayed or neutered by my vet who's not only very experienced, but keeps no paperwork, and lists all pd's under my file. There are vets in every state who have no problem seeing prairie dogs and do all the time.

The ban has been in place for more than 4yrs and all the hype is now gone. I've been caught red handed by police in my state, and not only were they unaware of any ban, they could careless about it. I was ready to be in trouble and they thought it funny I was so scared. I was told "It's no big deal it's just a few pounds of critters, it's not like you're moving heroin". Since monkey pox no longer front page news people have forgotten all about it, and most never knew anything about it.

I'm not saying there's nothing to be concerned about because there is. I'm only pointing out that the risk is small and the pd's are more than worth it. Anyone who adopts MUST keep their mouth SHUT! It doesn't have to be a huge secret you have them, but keeping quiet about exactly what you have is. The only way to insure your precious babies stay safe is by keeping quiet and trusting no one. The lives of all pd's everywhere depend on discretion. If asked some good answers are: I found it in my backyard: I bought it from an ad in the paper (I've rescued several from ads):I've had them for many yrs: They breed and had babies: Someone left it on my doorstep: It's a ground squirrel not a prairie dog: It's a fat Richardson: You get the idea..

There's nothing even close to the loyalty, devoting and unconditional love a prairie dog gives. There's a special bond between a prairie dog and their owner that's unbreakable. They're easy to care for and give so much back in return. I know some disagree in keeping wild animals as pets, but once you've been loved it's clear they wouldn't want to be back in the wild for anything.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Oily Chickenspew

sweet! good info

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla

Tags
pet store, prairie dog, prairie dogs, wild animal, wild animals