breeding??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

breeding???

Is it illegal to breeed sugargliders,ive heard that unless your licensed,you cant breed them at home and sell them...I dont have any,I heard this and wondered if it was true?

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

In NY it's illegal to breed and sell many exotics. Sugar gliders were on that list but I'm not 100% sure if they still are. I would just get a license if you're interested since it'll look better anyways (I, personally, wouldn't get a glider from an unlicensed breeder here since that seems more shady).

May I ask why you're interested in breeding? NY is already full of homeless gliders...I'm not sure if there's much of a market for normal babies (a lot of people would go to a pet store if that's what they wanted). Just some food for thought .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Headlock

I read that off craigslist to =p

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaPaws23 View Post
I read that off craigslist to =p
I never heard of something like that,didnt think that only stores or licensed breeders could sell them,like ferrets,that cant be illegal??/can it?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
I never heard of something like that,didnt think that only stores or licensed breeders could sell them,like ferrets,that cant be illegal??/can it?
Hmm, I'm not sure what you're asking but yeah, it definitely could be illegal. When I kept spiny mice I remember I could only legally have a certain number of litters and couldn't sell them or anything. People break rules like that all the time but places like craigslist would delete your ads, you wouldn't be able to advertise in the newspaper, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure what you're asking but yeah, it definitely could be illegal. When I kept spiny mice I remember I could only legally have a certain number of litters and couldn't sell them or anything. People break rules like that all the time but places like craigslist would delete your ads, you wouldn't be able to advertise in the newspaper, etc.
I was just browsing the pet sectiion of Craigslist,and came across that discussion,just didn't know if it were a bunch of rude people commenting or what.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Curmudgeon

Animal law is a complicated issue. Some states don't make it easy to find answers in their laws either.

You do need to find out if they are legal to breed, and what the requirements are. You should also check with USDA/APHIS about any requirements they might have.

If you were to breed animals in violation of NY law, that's just a state problem. However, if you were to advertise them for sale on the internet, that could be considered offering them for sale in interstate commerce. Illegal animals sold (even OFFERED for sale) into interstate commerce violates a federal law called the Lacey Act.

My advice, is that unless you REALLY understand state and local regulations, don't breed and sell your animals. You could really get into some situations that you really don't want. Some state/city/county officials can be very unforgiving, even if kids are the offenders. Your parents could be liable for some hefty fines and your animals could taken and/or euthanized.

It might be perfectly legal, but just to be sure, check with the Fish and Game Dept and ask them for the laws that govern sugar gliders and breeding.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
Animal law is a complicated issue. Some states don't make it easy to find answers in their laws either.

You do need to find out if they are legal to breed, and what the requirements are. You should also check with USDA/APHIS about any requirements they might have.

If you were to breed animals in violation of NY law, that's just a state problem. However, if you were to advertise them for sale on the internet, that could be considered offering them for sale in interstate commerce. Illegal animals sold (even OFFERED for sale) into interstate commerce violates a federal law called the Lacey Act.

My advice, is that unless you REALLY understand state and local regulations, don't breed and sell your animals. You could really get into some situations that you really don't want. Some state/city/county officials can be very unforgiving, even if kids are the offenders. Your parents could be liable for some hefty fines and your animals could taken and/or euthanized.

It might be perfectly legal, but just to be sure, check with the Fish and Game Dept and ask them for the laws that govern sugar gliders and breeding.

Bob
I just wanted to make clear that I dont have ANY sugargliders.I think they're cool looking animals,Their lifestyle of being nocturnal just wouldnt fit into our lifestyle as we have a baby.This was just a topic I brought up as I seen it discussed on CL,and hope you don't think I'm breaking some sort of laws.I breed keets and Cockers and am well aware of the laws and such for the state and even the town I live in.